Two 12's & two 10's in a '10 Nissan Pathfinder

Participant count
  • Participant list

rpolaski74

US
I have starter two 12 inch subwoofers and two 10 inch subwoofers with one 4/3 channel power amp (hoping you get another soon enough so I have one to push the 12's and one to push the 10's) and I need to build a box for all four subs and two amps that will fiit in the back of a 2010 Nissan Pathfinder LS. I have been perusing forums, pictures, videos, and other sources to make a good box design for my vehicle. I have some ideas but I'll not sure they will be the best. Any info, tips, or setups will be greatly appreciated!

Additional information : the 12's are 1,200w Sony Xplods, the 10's are 1,100w Sony Xplods, and the amp is a 500w Sony Xplod amp and planned on buying a 1,000w Sony Xplod amp to push the 12's and use the 500w amp to push the 10's. I know Sony Xplod brand are like lowest of the low but I have always loved my 12's in other vehicles. I'm not super picky about them and I like them so I was hoping to get some info on a design for my Pathfinder and hopes that it will fit in my 2007 Subaru Impreza when I get the engine rebuilt. Also, I was thinking of porting the 12's as well as sealing and inverting the 10's so I can get maximum punch for hi's and low's. If anybody had better ideas or info on any of this it would be greatly appreciated and I will be very grateful. Thanks in advance. If you need any extra info or have questions please message me. Thanks again everybody!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
4 channels are not subwoofer amps.
Mixing subwoofer sizes is a bad idea.

Prefabricated boxes are terrible.
Sorry....it's a 4/3 channel power amplifier. I corrected the post and the info on said amp.
I guess everybody has their preferences.

I don't understand what you mean by last comment. But I can say I am asking for a design that I can build myself. Already have the MDF and other materials to build it just need info on a design as I am getting the run around on searching myself on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry....it's a 4/3 channel power amplifier. I corrected the post and the info on said amp.

I don't understand what you mean by last comment.

You want to run a single channel monoblock amp for subwoofers not a 4 channel.

It is not a preference. Mix matching subwoofers will cause cancelation.

Every subwoofer likes different boxes, tuning, and port area. Buying an already build one online is not the best to get good output out of subwoofers.

Your best bet would be to either run the 10s or the 12s, not both. Then pick up a single monoblock amp and use the 4 channel for your door speakers.

I don't understand what you mean by last comment.

its not a matter of preference its a matter of actual scientific fact proved in every competition, Real Time Analyzers and term lab meters. Basically actual physics is involved.

10s arent punchier than 12s and 12s dont play deeper. Wherever you read that from is outdated garbage info from people who have no idea what they are talking about. A proper sub setup will play everything and get loud plain and simple. My 18s are way punchier than any 6.5, 8 or 10 could ever dream of achieving.

When you mix different sub sizes, you get a phenomenon called phase cancellation. Guess what that is? In simple words negative or sh*t sounding bass. You have different soundwaves fighting eachother instead of working in harmony. This is basically common knowledge for anyone that knows anything about car audio or basic audio physics.

When i was a young kid i did mixed sized subs as well, guess what, i removed the smaller sub and the bass was actually louder and way cleaner sounding with sticking to just one sub size.

I'd advise you to just sell the 10s and 12s and get something better. If you list a budget we can tell you what the best bang for buck equipment to get that will do true power and get you loud.

popwarhomie's last comment was about sub enclosures and that anything prebuilt/premade is pure garbage. Do a proper sub setup and you can get results like this cheapo budget setup with a properly designed subwoofer enclosure. Its not the sub that gets you loud, its the overall enclosure design/tune and port loading in your vehicle(aka there the port is at and firing)

You want to run a single channel monoblock amp for subwoofers not a 4 channel.

It is not a preference. Mix matching subwoofers will cause cancelation.

Every subwoofer likes different boxes, tuning, and port area. Buying an already build one online is not the best to get good output out of subwoofers.

Your best bet would be to either run the 10s or the 12s, not both. Then pick up a single monoblock amp and use the 4 channel for your door speakers.
Okay thanks for clearing that up.

That's why I was porting the 12's and sealing & inverting the 10's to avoid cancellation. I've seen it done before and it sounds great but it's hard as hell to accomplish. Hence, why I am asking for tips and info.

As for the box comment, I understands what you mean now. I edited my original reply stating that I want to build my own box to suit my needs. I have the MDF and other materials to do so, I just need info on it and a design that would fit my Pathfinder and for maximum efficiency.

I have another amp lined up and I'm saving money for it. Keeping it Sony Xplod brand so that it matches up as well as works well being same brand compatibility. I was given the amp I got now and didn't know it wouldn't work for subs so thanks for that info. You definitely saved me from a headache. Will the Sony 4 channel work on Bose door speakers?

Okay thanks for clearing that up.
That's why I was porting the 12's and sealing & inverting the 10's to avoid cancellation. I've seen it done before and it sounds great but it's hard as hell to accomplish. Hence, why I am asking for tips and info.

As for the box comment, I understands what you mean now. I edited my original reply stating that I want to build my own box to suit my needs. I have the MDF and other materials to do so, I just need info on it and a design that would fit my Pathfinder and for maximum efficiency.

I have another amp lined up and I'm saving money for it. Keeping it Sony Xplod brand so that it matches up as well as works well being same brand compatibility. I was given the amp I got now and didn't know it wouldn't work for subs so thanks for that info. You definitely saved me from a headache. Will the Sony 4 channel work on Bose door speakers?

If you have a bose factory setup, that sony 4 channel will be a downgrade compared to the factory amp. Just sell the sony and get a real sub amp thats proven to do real power. There's garbage amps to avoid and sony is one of them. List a budget and we'll tell you the real amps that make real power proven by people that have a 5000 dollar amplifier dyno that basically puts any amp on the chopping block to show if the amp actually does its rated power or not.

Seriously though dont run 10s and 12s. especially in a bigger car.

I also forgot to say I am by NO means an expert or well-versed in car audio. That's the reason I'm here to ask questions so please take it easy on me guys. I saw a lot of the noise cancellation stuff while I was trying to search before coming here but again I'm no expert on this so I leave it to you guys to give your comments, info, and tips. I don't need insane power though to be honest. I just like a slightly elevated punch much like getting a soundbar and sub for your tv at home so it feels like a theater experience. So, upgrading past 12's is prob too much and my wife would kill me. I could just stick with the 12's in one vehicle and the 10's in another. If that's the case I can delete this forum and start two so that I have a setup for each car.

If you have a bose factory setup, that sony 4 channel will be a downgrade compared to the factory amp. Just sell the sony and get a real amp thats proven to do real power. There's garbage amps to avoid and sony is one of them. List a budget and we'll tell you the real amps that make real power proven by people that have a 5000 dollar amplifier dyno that basically puts any amp on the chopping block to show if the amp actually does its rated power or not.
Seriously though dont run 10s and 12s. especially in a bigger car.
Thanks for that info. I'll keep it away from the Bose lol. I love the natural punch of the Bose but I only get it when the volume is full blast. Hence why I want a little more punch. I don't need much but enough would make me feel like I'm truly jamming out. Keep in mind I'm not looking to enter competitions, I just want to enjoy a good punch while I'm screaming to the music haha

I also forgot to say I am by NO means an expert or well-versed in car audio. That's the reason I'm here to ask questions so please take it easy on me guys. I saw a lot of the noise cancellation stuff while I was trying to search before coming here but again I'm no expert on this so I leave it to you guys to give your comments, info, and tips. I don't need insane power though to be honest. I just like a slightly elevated punch much like getting a soundbar and sub for your tv at home so it feels like a theater experience. So, upgrading past 12's is prob too much and my wife would kill me. I could just stick with the 12's in one vehicle and the 10's in another. If that's the case I can delete this forum and start two so that I have a setup for each car.
that will be much better. Build a proper box and you'll get all the punch and sound you need. Sell the 4 channel and get a cheap amp that does rated power and you'll be extremely happy. Just need to list a budget because thats a big no no on the sony monoblock you were thinking of getting.

that will be much better. Build a proper box and you'll get all the punch and sound you need. Sell the 4 channel and get a cheap amp that does rated power and you'll be extremely happy. Just need to list a budget because thats a big no no on the sony monoblock you were thinking of getting.
I would say a few hundred maybe to get new amps maybe more. What did you have in mind?

what are your subs rated at? (i don't wanta look up sonys) i'll find a mono amp for u.. some factory speakers have built in amps so no if thats the case others have factory amp so best to swap speakers or leave on factory but still mono is the way to go for subs.. just a great idea would also be to make ported box for the 12's that'll work with other better subs down the line.. if u have room insuv most suv's do best with subs facing up and port in middle of box firing rear.. just make box proper cf based on sub (after subtracting port and wood and subs) use port calc to tell u how long port need to be, if u listen to rock u can tune around 36 hz like me if u like low deep rap type then tune more like 32hz.. Port Length Calculator

what are your subs rated at? (i don't wanta look up sonys) i'll find a mono amp for u.. some factory speakers have built in amps so no if thats the case others have factory amp so best to swap speakers or leave on factory but still mono is the way to go for subs.. just a great idea would also be to make ported box for the 12's that'll work with other better subs down the line.. if u have room insuv most suv's do best with subs facing up and port in middle of box firing rear.. just make box proper cf based on sub (after subtracting port and wood and subs) use port calc to tell u how long port need to be, if u listen to rock u can tune around 36 hz like me if u like low deep rap type then tune more like 32hz.. Port Length Calculator
To be honest, I have no idea I am sorry. I can look though. As for the specs you gave....I am lost. I don't know anything except how to build stuff, install this wire to that, etc. I listen to a wide variety really. Disturbed to Redfoo and LMFAO to Ylvis to AC/DC & other 70's, 80's, and 90's hard rock to hip hop & Rap. Anything with a hard, fast breast gets me going and I am working on singing talents as well so I tend to be a bit random which is why I thought I would need to install some dials and switches to adjust the hz to where it needs to be right by my steering wheel. Sorry for making it even more complicated.

I looked on the 12's and it says rated 350w and the impedance is 4 ohms. Hope that helps.
Also, I clicked on your link and Idk what to do with the boxes on the site and stuff. Never used out before.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.