Two 10's vs. three 8's [sound differences?]

Participant count
  • Participant list

creyc
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
This is in relation to another thread, but I figured it deserves its own place just generally speaking.

Two 10's have the same surface area as three 8s. Comparing identical subs, say Assassins for example (http://www.ascendantaudio.com/assassin_page.html) with the same Xmax between the two, what will the acoustic difference be?

This issue has always confused me, I'm hoping to get a response from someone who has actually HEARD or experianced this firsthand.

Assuming everything is the same including motor and suspension etc AND you have both setups in a similarly performing enclosure - the 8's would have a slight advantage in that they could handle more power.

In your Assassin example, the 8's could handle 2550 watts versus the 10's handling 1700. Not that big of a difference in actual output to the ear or even to the meter.

Theoretically, the 8's would also last longer if you were wailing on each setup with the same amount of power as they have more voicecoil amongst them than the 10's.

lol, i too have heard what you mentioned about going lower, but I just can't for the life of me get a scientific explanation or some sort of measurement proof.

According to Bass Box the difference is 2dB, and the two 10's go very slightly lower. (around 2 Hz)

3x 8" -5dB @ 26.9Hz

2x 10" -5dB @ 25.1Hz

graph01.gif

It seems negligible to me. The 10's may be more efficient but the 8's can handle more power to begin with. Does anyone have first hand experience they can share? GrnEydDvl's info seems to be the most relevant here in my decision between 8's or 10's.

As for the 06 thread? I have no idea.

There is no way to make a general statement about which will sound better/louder etc. All other parameters being equal, if the cone area were also equal between 2 setups the output should be pretty much indistinguishable. All other parameters are never equal though.

In the case of the Assassin line, the 8s don't play very low at all. The Fs is really high which kind of handcuffs its low end response. I would classify them as a woofer rather than subwoofer. The 10 should be able to do better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.