Tweeters off the glass??

lol, many 80's-90's cars and gm trucks reflect off the glass with nice results. both front, and rear (sedan)..... problem with your scenario, is that it puts the highs on a different plane (roughly stages the sound on the hood) than your doors, so your mids and highs will be in different areas. it will help with giving both driver and passengers a wider sweet-spot, but you still have to contend with mid image...... and you can actually simulate from the center, as mentioned, but you have a problem reflecting sound from both das and windshield, plus you loose separation as you get closer to the dash....... just my experience on it........hope this helps any

so your windshield is flat, rearview mirror is only 2" wide, and sound waves only travel in a linear line?
i'm not gonna argue your point so just for the sake of not arguing my tweeters are vifa textile domes and almost 3" tall and 1.5" deep. No invisible rear view mounting for me anyhow. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

lol, many 80's-90's cars and gm trucks reflect off the glass with nice results. both front, and rear (sedan)..... problem with your scenario, is that it puts the highs on a different plane (roughly stages the sound on the hood) than your doors, so your mids and highs will be in different areas. it will help with giving both driver and passengers a wider sweet-spot, but you still have to contend with mid image...... and you can actually simulate from the center, as mentioned, but you have a problem reflecting sound from both das and windshield, plus you loose separation as you get closer to the dash....... just my experience on it........hope this helps any
Not really worried about mids not being heard , there is gonna be 2 selenium 6w4p's getting around 150 watts per in each door , so my mids will keep up with most any tweeter unless they are literally sitting on my ears. LOL

glass is hard enough surface to reflect sound without absobing much of it.

most of the toyotas and now hondas and many other cars have windshield reflected tweets.

chryslers have midtweets up on the dash.

mercedes has the center channel reflected off the dash as well.

You can actually get good imaging with the tweets firing into the glass. That is how most of my competition installs were and the imaging was amazing. If I recall you will want to aim the speakers towards the middle of the vehicle. My suggestion would be to run the wires to tweets and play around with the angle and bit and test them out from the drivers seat to get the best sound. The benefit of having the tweets so high is that it raises your sound stage significantly instead of all your sound being muffled and coming from your knees. It helps give the sound more time to "mature" before reaching the ears.

Reflections are a double edged sword. If they can be tamed they can add depth and height to the stage. It requires a lot more tuning though do to comb filtering and such. ON the flip side, without some good tuning your stage is going to be unstable with some serious frequency shifts. I always break out the velcro, wire up the tweets with some extra wire and stick them in different places until I find the sweet spot. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Would it be better to mount my tweeters flush in my defroster vent bezel (it spans the entire length of the dash , they would be mounted as far in the corners as possible) instead of off axis in doors at knee level??
They are knee level now and when the doors are closed imaging is very poor and HF output is not very impressive at all. Now if i swing the doors open and sit in the drivers seat it sounds great. But who drives with the doors open. So do you guys think in the dash reflecting off the glass would be better?

this also happens to me, in my volvo s60....people say tweeter location and speaker location are good.... but i still like it when doors are open they sound better :S

what can i do to make them sound better?

did not read whole thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

i had mine like this, sounded good to me, but i'm no SQ guy...

old pics:

IMAGE_212.jpg

IMAGE_211.jpg

IMAGE_210.jpg

IMAGE_209.jpg

did not read whole thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
i had mine like this, sounded good to me, but i'm no SQ guy...
That is pretty much what i'm gonna try , except farther out to the sides and closer to the front

I just got an 07 Altima, and its tweeters are in the far corners of the dash as well. Waiting to hear how yours turns out before I wire up mine. Was either going to go there, or cut holes in the A-pillars.

My 2010 camry has stock tweeters in the far corners right near the windshield. Was listening to Hotel California today and the soundstage was really nice, up high and out in the front of me:clap:

Now if i swing the doors open and sit in the drivers seat it sounds great. But who drives with the doors open.
These idiots do!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I have an '01 Jetta with the stock tweeters on the door, right near the A-pillar. Its the best compromise without going to the dash or pillar itself, imho.

These idiots do!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

I have an '01 Jetta with the stock tweeters on the door, right near the A-pillar. Its the best compromise without going to the dash or pillar itself, imho.
I have no room in the doors where the tweets will sound good. Tomorrow i may get the tweeters in. Right now all amps are unhooked and i'm riding with 6x9's on deck power. I got my knu 1/0 in the mail today and have to get a hole drilled in the firewall for it. Prolly try them out tomorrow after i do a brake job for my sister in law.

i personally cant stand the way tweeters off the glass sound... i also dont like how many tweeters are gnarly harsh on-axis.... SO have you thought about mounting them in the door panel? i LOVE the way mine sounds this way. imaging sounds like its right in front of me no matter which way i move...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.