Tweeter protection and Crossover freq. HELP!

Participant count
  • Participant list

DBz Hertz
10+ year member

Does Google work? Yes it does, however, this is the formula I get for calculating the proper capacitor to protect my tweeters:

C = 1/2 (Pi) fZ

C is the “safety” capacitor value in Farads (1 Farad = 1,000,000 mfd).

f = one-half the tweeter crossover frequency

Z = tweeter impedance at the crossover point

This makes NO SENSE. This puts me at 9420 mfd.. Uh, no?!

What's up with the equation? Am I missing something?

This brings me to my next question. The equation above assumes a crossover point of 3000hz for my tweeters. Is this a good point to crossover? Is it all about listener preference? I was planning on crossing the highs at 3k, the mids at 80, and the sub for the rest.

I am in the dark about wattage.. can my tweeters handle the same wattage as my mids? As long as the signal isn't full range, it should be good right? The set is rated at 100 watts continuous. This is my first ACTIVE setup, and I just want to make sure I do it right. I'm doin the work, I'm baby steppin...

Setup is in the sig!

Thanks a lot guys.

Capacitors arent worth your trouble. All they do is put a bandaid on a larger issue.

Here are some pages regarding frequencies I took out of my Eclipse manual that me be of some help to you.

ParametricEQ-1.jpg

TimeAlignment.jpg

TimeAlignment2.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.