tweeter placement in 06 xterra? (pics included)

Participant count
  • Participant list

stay_high
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
I have a set of I.D. CXS 64's that are going into my 2006 nissan xterra in a couple of weeks. They will be powered by a PPI 900.4 and ran off of a clarion cz702 headunit. Im wondering where i should place the tweets. The door speakers in front(stock 6x9's) are located at my feet. Like wayyy down on the bottom of the door. The lowest i have ever seen a door speaker located. The stock tweeters are way up on top of the dash facing up towards the windshield. The stock stereo sounds like trash. It doesnt get loud you cant even hear it with the windows down (without maxing out volume and clipping it), and the imaging is so off that the only speaker you can hear is whichever tweet your sitting closest to. So while i would like to use the stock tweet location to keep it looking stock im starting to think its not the best spot.

Long story short: where should i place the tweets in my xterra? Heres some pics of the interior and door panel and what not.

View attachment 26545137View attachment 26545138View attachment 26545140View attachment 26545139View attachment 26545136View attachment 26545135

i would think the stock is the best place, ur going to get a better front stage like that, it keeps the tweets soft and no so up close, my bro in law has a truck and his tweets are in the same spot and they sound great, i have min in the stock of my car which where on the doors and they seem too close for me, i think i am going to put mine up on my dash, i won't be able to hide them though, but sound wise and to keep the tweets sound so harsh, i would put them where ur stocks are, but that is just my opinion, based on my experiences

i would think the stock is the best place, ur going to get a better front stage like that, it keeps the tweets soft and no so up close, my bro in law has a truck and his tweets are in the same spot and they sound great, i have min in the stock of my car which where on the doors and they seem too close for me, i think i am going to put mine up on my dash, i won't be able to hide them though, but sound wise and to keep the tweets sound so harsh, i would put them where ur stocks are, but that is just my opinion, based on my experiences
But do you think the imaging would sound any diffferent with the cxs tweets there vs the stock tweets? Because as of now you cant even tell theres a tweet on the other side. All i hear is the one on the drivers side unless i fade it right like +6. I think this car may just have the worst stock sound system i have EVER heard in a car haha. Mabey some young kid drove around blasting it for a couple years or something before i got it. lol

i meant the stock placement, i would take out the stock tweets if u can
No i understood, i was just wondering if putting them in that spot would make the imaging sound any different than it is now with the factory tweets in that spot.

Localization of speakers has alot to do with tuning.

Alot of times, improper level matching between mid and tweet will cause localization.

With tweets, localization is determined by intensity. The more power you put on that tweeter, the easier it will be to localize.

Reducing the power to tweets, and raising the power of mids to properly blend, along with some eqing I'd needed, will help to make the tweeter less locateable and blend more with your sound stage.

I would install them there, spend some time tuning, get a feel for blending sound, then move them later.

Too bad you don't have any of those image 6x9s for your doors...I heard they rock!!
They are very nice speakers. I have a set I sold to a friend that I ran for a year or so 3 years back. We are going to do the install this month and I'm looking forward to hearing them again. Very nice midbass and I really liked their midrange for some reason, tonally one of my favorite speakers in that price range. From 80hz and up they pretty hard to beat. I had mine in well deadened kickpanels and they still rattled my whole floor enough to make your feet go numb through your shoes.. I'm gonna do the best I can on his doors but I already told him I make NO promises on having little/no rattles lol.

to help OP, before you mount them anywhere use double sided tape and see what works. As a hunch, try down by the mid, just above and to the right, so the near the bottom of the door as far forward as you can get them, just above the mid. If not that, then try a little higher in the door below the door handle. If the tweets sound bad firing up on the dash you may need a lower location to balance them out. Those locations should do that, which will help with your ITD, which in turn helps your IID.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.