Tweeter Attenuation & Positioning

Participant count
  • Participant list

tracyrick
10+ year member

Limited035
Was reading the speaker FAQ regarding tweeters...

My setup is fronts, 2 way component speakers, MB Quart QSC216 6.5", car is Impreza WRX. My tweeters are in my door panel, much closer to my ears than my woofers.

So if I go -3db or -6db on my crossover settings, can that have the same impact as moving my tweeters further away? Or am I still going to have imaging/staging issues?

Also, if I move my tweeters further away to my sail panel, or A pillar, or down by the woofer, I should point them off axis, correct? What would be the most likely direction to point them for best SQ?

I'm going to get out the 3M double sided tape soon and play with this, but I wanted to get other people's tips first.

I just installed my Kicker SS comps a couple weeks ago. Mid is in the stock location in the door, and tweeter in the sail panel. I found the best imaging to be if I pointed the tweeters about a half a foot to the right of my head (I used a laser pointer to find this spot). While everyone will be different, that gives the best sound stage in my car. Nice and high, and right in the middle of the car.

Also, I'm running them active, so I have the ability to change my settings on the fly to get the best imaging. That really, really helped when I was positioning them.

Yeah....that's the nicest part about running active....I can time align each mid/tweeter individually. Really helps out with the staging if you can't glass a proper kick panel for the comps.

I like MBQ Tweets mounted low by the woofers unless you have active control over them. They're not as bright down there and still image quite well.
This is an interesting comment "still image quite well". From what I've read, putting the tweeters up high brings the soundstage up, not sure how putting them so low sounds good.

Which way would you point them if you had them by the woofers? Facing toward the driver, middle of the car, or the opposite seat?

I like the idea of putting the tweets by the woofers 'cause the path length will then be the same. But I don't think I can put them there without a serious mod (Subaru Impreza).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.