Tuning and size recommendation -- (2) JL 10w6v2's

Participant count
  • Participant list

CrAiZ3
10+ year member

Hey guys! I just downsized from an AQ hdc318 in 6+^ft box tuned at 40hz. Now that I have these JL's I am having a really tough time deciding what to tune these subs at and how much room to give them.

Let me first tell you about what I would like to accomplish from this enclosure. I am told that these JL's hit very low with great sound quality. That is exactly what I want. I want these to have the perfect amount of bass while retaining as much sound quality as possible. I listen to 99% edm (dubstep, drum & bass, house, techno, ect.) and want the tight, clean, punchy bass while also getting low and loud. For now, these subs will be in a saturn vue but will more that likely be put in the whatever vehicle I buy new in a few years (at that point I will get a box to perfectly fit my cabin's geometry, along with all the rest of the sq stuff I need).

I have been reading that these subs will do best in a ported box. Many people commented saying tuning around 25hz produced good results, but did not specify what there goal was. First question: what would be the best freq to tune my subs based on my goal?

Also, I would like to keep this around L:28 x W:24 x H:26. I tried using google to find a converter to find cubic feet. Each converter is telling me when I type in the dimensions to find the volumetric dimension of a rectangular room that the result is 17472^in.

When I use an online ^in to ^ft converter I get 10.111111^ft and I know that's obviously not right. My second question is: Is it always the case that the more cubic feet (as long as tuned to the right freq.) we have the louder we can get? (assuming we don't go too big. Like a range from .5-15). Basically, is there any reason these JL's would sound better in 4^ft @25hz opposed to a 6^ft @25hz? Third question is: How many cubic feet do I have to work with, and exactly how many cubic feet should I use to get the best results based on my goal?

oh, and I forgot. Is there any advantage to having the subs/port facing upwards vs towards the rear, ect?

Specs of the JL sub's

10" Dual 4 Ohm W6v2 Series Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 1200 watts

RMS: 600 watts

Recommended Power Range: 150-600 watts

Impedance: Dual 4 ohms

Polypropylene cone woofer

OverRoll Surround

W-Cone

Floating-Cone Attach Method

Plateau-Reinforced Spider Attachment

Radially Cross-Drilled Pole Piece

Massive Forced-Air-Cooled Aluminum Alloy Frame

Highly Linear, DMA-Optimized Motor System

Huge Diameter, Progressive Roll Spider

Co-Extruded Double Lead Wires

Ultra-Long Voice Coil

Thanks everyone!

well a quick visit to the JL site reccomends ~37hz tuning in a small *** box, sooooooooo i just modeled a 8 cube box tuned to 25 hz and you get almost a 3 DB boost at 28 hz. now using 3/4 MDF you have almost 8.5 cubes to work with so you can basicly do whatever you want with these.

personally i always prefer to tune low. that might come from my days of not having a subsonic filter and destroying a sub playing to loud and too low, but i would aim for ~25hz if you want SQ. generally 28-30hz is considered "SQL" while 40 and up is spl.

as far as port/sub placment it really depends on YOUR opinion. i had a JL W0 in a sealed wedge, and it sounded best fireing up at my back window. but when i got my Kicker it sounded best with the sub facing my back seat and the port aimed at the drivers side trunk wall. and then when i had a short stint with some Type Rs they sounded best cockeyed in my trunk with port fireing at one taillight and subs fireing at the other.

a bigger enclosure dos not mean more SPL, and since im about to go to work i cant model anymore boxes. hopefully someone will chime in to help.

oh, what amp will you be running?

Matt

well a quick visit to the JL site reccomends ~37hz tuning in a small *** box, sooooooooo i just modeled a 8 cube box tuned to 25 hz and you get almost a 3 DB boost at 28 hz. now using 3/4 MDF you have almost 8.5 cubes to work with so you can basicly do whatever you want with these.
personally i always prefer to tune low. that might come from my days of not having a subsonic filter and destroying a sub playing to loud and too low, but i would aim for ~25hz if you want SQ. generally 28-30hz is considered "SQL" while 40 and up is spl.

as far as port/sub placment it really depends on YOUR opinion. i had a JL W0 in a sealed wedge, and it sounded best fireing up at my back window. but when i got my Kicker it sounded best with the sub facing my back seat and the port aimed at the drivers side trunk wall. and then when i had a short stint with some Type Rs they sounded best cockeyed in my trunk with port fireing at one taillight and subs fireing at the other.

a bigger enclosure dos not mean more SPL, and since im about to go to work i cant model anymore boxes. hopefully someone will chime in to help.

oh, what amp will you be running?

Matt
AMP specs:

Fusion Powerplant PPAM200010

Bass Boost @ 45Hz: 0-12db

Frequency Response: 20Hz - 350Hz

Fuse Rating 40amp x 3

Input Impedence: 20k

Input sensitivity: 0.2v - 8v

Max Power Rating: 2000w

RMS Ratings Per Channel:

600 x 1 @ 4ohms

900 x 1 @ 2ohms

1000 x 1 @ 1ohm

Variable Low Pass Filter: 6db / Octave

Dimensions: 436mm(L) x 278mm(W) x 60mm(H)

Amplifier Class: Class D

Max Power Rating: 2000w

Variable LPF (35Hz-350Hz)

Crossover Selector Switch

Output RCA Terminals for Daisy Chaining audio signal

Diecast Diamond Cut Endcaps

45deg 4AWG Angled power terminals

Are you saying that based on 28 x W:24 x H:26 I have 8.5 cubes to work with? I'm confused because my 18" was in a much larger box (dimensions wise) and only had ~6.7^ft @40hz. Is that because of the large port size and 1 1/4" mdf the whole way around?

I really appreciate your input and based on what you said I think I wanna shoot for ~27-28hz. Does this seem like a good spot to tune it based on wanting "the tight, clean, punchy bass while also getting low and loud and sounding amazing".

Also, is there anything different I have to do when making this box aside from the SPL boxes I've built / had built before? Like for instance if I want the two subs firing upwards with the port pointing upwards as well, can I just make the universal style rectangular box? As long as I have it tuned to the 27hz I think I want it at?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.