Total noob here... i'm looking to get a decent begginer system.

xenobreak
10+ year member

NewYork
I have no idea what any of these numbers floating around mean or anything like that... all i know is what i drive, my budget, and what i want out of the system.

I drive a 2001 Cavalier coupe with an aftermarket stereo i added when i got it. I know the person that owned it before me had a system because they left the cords for the Amp in the car. The speakers are stock as far as i know...

So I'm looking for something simple but decent. I basically just want to make music sound better and add a little bump to it. I'm not going to blast the thing super loud and show off or anything like that so i don't need anything amazing.

I'm planning on getting new speakers, a sub, and an amp. I guess the speaker sizes i need are 4x6 for the front two and 6x9 for the back two.

My budget is pretty low but i figure that's ok since i don't want anything amazingly powerful. I would say $250 max...

I know for what I'm asking i can probably just go to best buy or wal mart and get everything i need but i would like opinions on what specifically to get because even places like best buy have a good variety of stuff to look at and it cant all possibly be worth the money.

-Speakers *4x6 and 6x9

-Subwoofer *10" or 12"

-Amplifier *No idea...

-Box for Sub? *Friend said for what i want just putting in on the back seat would work, can someone clarify this?

Low budget like that your better off buying used.

How handy are you with installs and that sort of thing? You do not need rear speakers. I would make some changes to your front area or install kick panels and put 5 1/4 or 6 1/2.

I would say PG RSD from woofersetc (60) a decent HU (used for about 100) and then a smaller amp with the remaining money to power them.

You will not be able to get a sub, box, wire and amp yet. But a decent start.

When it comes to an AMP what do the channels mean?

If i have 4 speakers in my car and 1 sub would 5 channel be best? How does that work...

I would agree with the others, to leave the rear speakers stock and power them off the Head Unit. Spend the money on your front stage. Get an amp for the front speakers and put a new component set in your doors. 6 1/2" are worth the effort to make them fit.

You need 2 amp "channels" for your front speakers. One for Left, one for Right. Music is recorded in "stereo" (stereophonic), which means 2 channels = Left and Right. The channels must be amplified seperately to keep the signals distinct. Think of it like Hot and Cold. You have to keep them seperate or else you just get Warm, or in this case Monophonic, which you don't want.

The sub needs another channel (the sub is mono, that's okay). So you need three channels total. You can either get 2 amplifiers (a 2 channel and a mono sub amp) or a 4 channel and bridge 2 of the channels to make it into a 3 channel amp, with the 3 rd channel being twice as powerfull as channels 1 & 2. This is a good way to build an extreme budget set up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.