Total noob here... i'm looking to get a decent begginer system.

You can PM me on here (just click on my username and select Private Message), or just keep posting here. It's fine, that's what this is for. It also lets other noobs read and learn from what we post. You can also learn by looking thru other threads with similar topics or use the search for specific models or topics.

If you got the gear we've listed here and installed it well you would have a much better system than most noobs. I've seen a lot of knuckleheads spend a lot more money and still have crappy systems because they bought the wrong thing, mismatched gear or installed it poorly.

What's wrong with the Crunch amp or the 2 profiles? Both under $99 for good amps that will fit your needs. If your going to spend another $40-50 then I'd suggest spending that money on better front component speakers instead.

I'd rather have a $90 amp and $150 component 6 1/2" front speakers.

Step up to some Boston Acoustics, Morels or Focals and you'll hear a vast improvement in quality.

Or spend the extra $40-$50 on SecondSkin dampening material.

Remember you still need a wiring kit and a sheet of MDF. Maybe a few bucks to buy some beer and pizza for someone who has done this before to help you would also be money well spent.

2 people on here so far have offered to help you in person. You should seriously consider getting them to help you install this gear.

Oh as long as your sure the crunch will work ill do that one... i forgot you mentioned it.

Now about "component" speakers... is that just what they call the front two in a car?

Any good ones on that website im looking at lol?

actually i hear bad things about that crunch brand... so i may look for another.

The only reason im looking away from those profiles is because id rather just stick to 1 amp and have everything be from the same website.

I could always get the sub from a different website //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh as long as your sure the crunch will work ill do that one... i forgot you mentioned it.
Now about "component" speakers... is that just what they call the front two in a car?

Any good ones on that website im looking at lol?
Do a search here for that crunch model. You have to do some homework. For example make sure the wattages they listed on the website are actually RMS watts not peak watts. I suspect that the watts listed is wrong, and the actual RMS watts is half of what is listed. RMS watts is about half of peak watts. You need to compare RMS watts of differenent amps to compare apples to apples. I still think the two Profile amps are the best buy.

"Component speakers" means seperate pieces that make up a set. In this case a seperate 6 1/2" mid range speaker, a tweeter and an external passive crossover for each side (left & right) make a complete set. This gives the best performance. The passive crosssover is wired inbeteen the amp and the speakers and splits the frequencies so that the tweeter gets only high frequencies and the mid gets only the lower half of the frequencies.

I already posted a link for a good set. The PG RS 6 1/2" is considered the best budget set for only $80. If you can spend more I suggested stepping up to the Boston Acoustics, Morels or Focals. The more money you can spend on these speakers the better. You will see a direct improvement in sound quality by spending more on these speakers than anything else you can in your system. This is where to "invest" as much money as you can afford.

You will definitly hear a difference between $80 speakers and $150 speakers. Get the cheaper amp(s) and spend more on the 6 1/2" speakers.

actually i hear bad things about that crunch brand... so i may look for another.
The only reason im looking away from those profiles is because id rather just stick to 1 amp and have everything be from the same website.
With one amp you will either have to spend more money or get less power compared to the Profiles. I doubt you will find a better deal.

I could always get the sub from a different website //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Why? They have ton's of subs in your price range. Why are you willing to get the sub from another site and not the amp?

Do what you like, but I have given you my recommendations. Two profile amps, Knuknoceptz wiring kit, Pioneer dual 2 ohm sub, some Second Skin DP, and the best 6 1/2" components you can afford. Nothing less than the PG RS. B.A., Morel or Focals would be better. Plus a sheet of 3/4" MDF from Home Depot for a sub box. That would be a great beginner set up.

Most of us spend hours shopping around, reading reviews, and comparing prices and vendors. Enjoy your home work. It will be time well spent. IMO, avoid ebay and discount vendors with bad reputations.

but isn't 6 1/2" to big since my car uses 4" x 6" for the front? Id rather not have to do any cutting or modding of my doors >
You should be able to get the 6 1/2"'s to fit with only slight modification. Depth is usually a bigger problem than width. It depends on what your doors look like, but trust me it's worth the effort to make them fit. You will get much better performance from 6 1/2"s than any 4" x 6"'s.

Usually you can either make them fit as is, or you need a small wooden ring to raise the woofer up to give you the depth and width clearance you need. The tweeter is mounted seperately. Tweeters in the A pillar or in the corner under the windshield on the dash works well.

In my case I cut a piece of MDF to fit over the 4 x 6" factory hole and sealed up the hole well, then I cut the hole in that wood for the driver. A 6 1/2" driver only needs a hole about 4 3/4" wide and 2 1/2" deep.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.