Torn between two speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Kram Larbac

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
Hello all
Well, I thought I had everything planned out for purchase for my new install. THOUGHT being the key word! I was all but completely sold on Focal ISU-690. And I have only heard Focal’s once and I am sure they were not the entry level models. But those had to be the best car audio speakers I have ever heard. Focal has a big following. Okay, there’s another big well known company that has what I think an equal big following. Audiocontrol has came out with a line of speakers. PNW-69CS2 is the model that is very similar to the Focal as far as features are concerned. The specs are very close, the Audiocontrol handles a bit more power and has a adjustable tweeter setting. Sensitivity is also close but the Focals have a bit more. They are going to be amped with extra headroom, so no issues there. They will be installed in a’20 Jeep Grand Cherokee for front stage. I know it’s up to me in the end, and it’s also inevitable that I will always wonder, what if I chose the others? But that’s just the chance you take. I am not going to beat myself up over this, however, I want to do it once and be done. Both tweeters need the factory openings altered too. I could easily find another donor panel from the junkyard but really don’t want to unless positively required. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I would not opt for the inexpensive Focal's (and I've used/use currently - their products extensively in both car and HT applications) and while a fan of Audiocontrol products, have not used any of their speakers and would wager they are build house units with their logo on them. CDT has a fantastic line of great speakers in most sizes at those price points and I would wager better than either of the selections considered that you have listed.

You might want to list the goal here. Beside the make and model, list the OEM sound system that came with the Jeep and what the end game is.

If you hoping that installing a set of components will be a game changer with the stock system, probably not and in some systems, even better less efficient aftermarket speakers may perform worse.

In the past 10/15 years. I feel like the best sounding/performing speakers Ive ever heard to date were some Hertz MLK & Mille series running off of a Gladen XL-250C4. Absolutely fantastic man. I have this amp that Ill be installing later back to a SQ/SQL type system. Those hertz speakers arent cheap but they sure sound fantastic man. Especially when sealing off the cabin space. Mark(RIP my friend) had one bad azzed system that i had the privilege to help work on. I really think they sound so much better than the expensive focal speakers( used to go to audio shows with Mark and we demo Focal sponsored vehicles,alpine,RF,ECT.) But for now budget wise.. CDT ES Gold series are some of the Best for the money and the HD series. The 3 way ES Gold series would be awesome for a badd azzed front stage if you can swing the funds and do some door treatments and supply them nicely. The Xovers in this set are very nice and you can open them up and adjust them. I have two sets of these Xovers and they are amazing man. Love em!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...