Tools, quality or cheap?

hmm. $150 router, versus $20 jigsaw - $20 per bit, versus $10 for a multi-pack

i wonder who wins //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i've got both already. A guy gave me the palm router. I've only used the router like you, with a 1/4 rounding bit for MDF, but was gonna ATTEMPT cutting my own 1 piece front baffle this weekend. The shop I've previously used that has a laser router, accurate to .001" 'no longer has anyone QUALIFED to run it.' Rockler has the infamous Jasper jig $$$$ and they have this other thing that does circle jig, but it also comes with a fence attachment to use a router like a saw. You got any thoughts? 'cause if I REALLY don't want a ghetto faced box.

by far the 2 best investments i have made in my tools are my craftsman tool chest (not the nice one with ball bearing slide), and my 30 gallon craftsman compressor. these 2 items are a must for every garage

the tools that give you the precision cuts, grooves, notches, holes.... what ever. you need to have quality to last. Cheap will work to a certain extent, but it pays off in the long run to get the better routers, router bits/ drill bits, saws, paint guns and drills. But for clamps, screw drivers, and crap like that, they are cheap and replaceable.

Eh, routers are overrated. Only thing I'd use it for is like a HUGE one to round off the edges on MDF. For cutting circles, and **** like that...JIG SAW!!!
NG
a router is one of the most coolest tools EVER! a nice router table set up, good quality and variety of bits and different base plates.... for custom work a minimum of 2 routers (one in a table and one seperate) is essential to make a quality custom job with professional results. there are sooooooo many tricks you can do with a router. Awsome tool, and couldnt live with out one.

a router is one of the most coolest tools EVER! a nice router table set up, good quality and variety of bits and different base plates.... for custom work a minimum of 2 routers (one in a table and one seperate) is essential to make a quality custom job with professional results. there are sooooooo many tricks you can do with a router. Awsome tool, and couldnt live with out one.

100% agree.

aww hell, go snap-on...hehe (talk about expensive)

It isn't the quality of tools, or the number of them. It is what you can accomplish with them.

Later

-Ryan

(oh and our full service machine shop is full of snap-on and craftsman)

The Ryobi 18v Cordless drill is a great buy and a good performer (less than $100, comes with 2 batteries, drill bits, variable spd, built in bubble lvl., plenty of power..

I have one and it gets the job done with ease.

One of the best cordless drills on the market would be the Dewalt 18V cordless. However, not cheap and really not needed if you are just doing weekend hobby projects ($200+ new ouch!) but a sweet tool nonetheless.

Jigsaw- Go with a Bosch. They make the sturdiest jigsaws in my humble opinion.

Routers- Bosch, Dewalt or Porter-Cable. I agree with some of the earlier comments-- routers can do some really trick stuff. I'm contemplating forking over $120+ for a decent Porter-Cable. The Dewalts are my favorite. Nice design:: easy to see what you are cutting, strong motor, easy to handle. Only con is the bottom plate. It isnt too strong. I dropped one of these about 2 ft off the ground and broke the plate(don't be a clutz with power tools, esp. expensive ones :-( .

Thats my 2 cents.

Milwuakee for cordless drills

porter cable routers

Craftsman, Jet, Dewault, powermatic For table saws

Jet band Saws

Jet jointers

Jet, delta, Dewalt Planers

Should I go on?

aww hell, go snap-on...hehe (talk about expensive)
It isn't the quality of tools, or the number of them. It is what you can accomplish with them.

Later

-Ryan

(oh and our full service machine shop is full of snap-on and craftsman)
i have all snap on. they make a lot of our specialty tools for racing. most of the time we are using our snap on box end wrenches, i like the feel of them versus mac. they feel really close to the craftsman line. the reason i have all snap on is because my grandfather has had his for his whole career and i started out in his garage with his tools. i think the most underrated tool for installs is the dremel. i use it for so many little things. great tool if you use it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.