Restaurant Massacre Only the Beginning
By Luis Cabrera/AP
In the 21 months since gang members opened fire at a Vietnamese restaurant in Tacoma, Washington, killing five people and wounding five more, three of the defendants and a witness against them have been slain or taken their own lives.
“I can’t give an explanation for it,” prosecutor Ed Murphy said on April 12. “I’ve never seen anything like it or heard anything like it.”
The latest victim was prosecution witness Kay Kosal Sin, who was shot early on April 11, a week before his 21st birthday when he answered tapping on his bedroom window.
Earlier, a defendant hanged himself in his jail cell, and another fatally shot his co-defendant brother and then himself rather than be arrested for the July 5, 1998, shootings at the Trang Dai Cafe, the city’s worst mass killing.
“That’s probably the most bizarre thing about this case is [the killing] just keeps going on,” police spokesman Jim Mattheis said.
He said investigators had not yet connected Sin’s death to the Trang Dai slayings.
“Obviously that’s the most logical link,” Mattheis said, noting that Sin was formerly listed as an “associate” of the gang involved in the shootings, the Loc’d Out Crips, but “in the last year or so he’d turned his life around.”
Prosecutors allege the Trang Dai shooting stemmed from a feud between two young Vietnamese men, Ri Ngoc Le and Son Kim, identified as a member of the Vietnamese Ghetto Boys.
The feud grew until Le, who had taken the unusual step of joining the predominantly Cambodian Loc’d Out Crips, carried out the shootings with seven other gang members, prosecutors allege. Kim was injured but not killed.
All eight suspects were charged with five counts each of aggravated first-degree murder and assault.
Sin, the April 11 shooting victim, had entered and surveyed the restaurant a few hours before the massacre, witnesses told investigators.
“He didn’t deserve this,” Sin’s 12-year-old sister, Maya, said last week as relatives gathered at the family’s modest apartment.
Sin’s death will not stop the trials for the remaining defendants, said Murphy, who declined to disclose what safety measures, if any, would be taken for other witnesses.
“(Sin) had information that was of some importance, but it’s not critical,” he said. “He’s not a witness to what actually happened.”
According to court documents, Sin told investigators that Le had boasted of his plans to kill Son Kim. However, Le fatally shot himself and his co-defendant brother, Khanh van Trinh, a few weeks after the massacre as police closed in to arrest them.
The case has been exceptionally hard to prosecute, county prosecutor John Ladenburg said.
“Obviously it makes it more difficult any time witnesses are killed. It also makes it more difficult when some defendants won’t be before the court,” he said, referring to Le, Le’s brother and Samath Mom, 18, who hanged himself in his cell about a week after the brothers’ deaths.
“We have lots of incidents of gangs saying they’re going to retaliate but it’s very rare,” Ladenburg said.