Tiny dash mount speaker enclosure?

Participant count
  • Participant list

edintheclouds

CarAudio.com Newbie
PA
Hi. I'm going to put these in my front console of my 1975 MG Midget. It originally had a single 6x8 mono speaker in there and these are a common replacement to get some stereophonic action. They will be amped, so do y'all think they should have some sort of enclosure?

Attachments

• 3.5s.jpg
    3.5s.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 196
Im not familiar with those drivers but generally speaking car audio mids are designed to run IB, so placing them in a small enclosure will hurt low end response. But without know if they are integrating with larger midbass drivers, we can only speculate. Give us a run down of the over all system, including speaker locations.

Im not familiar with those drivers but generally speaking car audio mids are designed to run IB, so placing them in a small enclosure will hurt low end response. But without know if they are integrating with larger midbass drivers, we can only speculate. Give us a run down of the over all system, including speaker locations.
I'm using an MB Quart MDR2.0 head unit with their NA2-500.5 amp. The front channel is just these two little kickers, they came with bass blocker things. The rear is a pair of Dayton 6" subs on the sub channel. That's it so far. Ya gotta understand how tight the cockpit is in this car, so that center console speaker is right in your face. I'm interested to see what kind of imaging I can get from it. What's IB?

IB is infinite baffle. As for imaging, I asked about speaker location because it sounds like these two speakers will be mounted side by side where the single speaker use to be. If that is true, you will get very poor imaging from it, since stereo separation will be virtually nil. I do know those cockpits are tiny (my dad had an MG A series) and its probably going to require some cutting to fit speakers in reasonable locations to even approach fidelity.

The 6's are going to be required to be midbass, not really subwoofers. Your 3.5's in the front are going to produce almost no midbass (you will probably have to cross them over well above midbass range). So if you run 3.5's and"subs", you are going to have a giant hole in your response that will almost definitely disappoint you.

IB is infinite baffle. As for imaging, I asked about speaker location because it sounds like these two speakers will be mounted side by side where the single speaker use to be. If that is true, you will get very poor imaging from it, since stereo separation will be virtually nil. I do know those cockpits are tiny (my dad had an MG A series) and its probably going to require some cutting to fit speakers in reasonable locations to even approach fidelity.

The 6's are going to be required to be midbass, not really subwoofers. Your 3.5's in the front are going to produce almost no midbass (you will probably have to cross them over well above midbass range). So if you run 3.5's and"subs", you are going to have a giant hole in your response that will almost definitely disappoint you.
I figured as much. But these six inchers are generally used for low subs. I'm trying to figure where to put anything else because door mounts will fire right into your elbow at best. More planning to do.

Try looking for an MG specific website to get mounting location and speaker size options. Then come back here for product options and any technical questions. imo.
This is the most common route. A good set of 3.5s in the front console speaker location, and speakers in the rear trunk panel. That's if you don't want to cut holes in your door panel, but I'm not against that.

Again the guts of an MG are pretty foreign to me, but generally speaking door mounting would be preferable to a central dash location for both your left and right front speakers. Doors would possibly give more room for bigger mids also, which you really need.

Again the guts of an MG are pretty foreign to me, but generally speaking door mounting would be preferable to a central dash location for both your left and right front speakers. Doors would possibly give more room for bigger mids also, which you really need.
I agree. Since I have a 5 channel amp, I'll look forward to mids in the doors at some point. But another question, can I screw the amp directly into the the car's body, or will that cause a short? I assume the amp's internals are insulated, it's supposed to be waterproof.

Screwing the amp directly to sheetmetal isn't a good idea. Just sandwich a piece of plywood between the amp and the car body.

If you put speakers in your doors, go with a component set and ditch the dash speakers altogether. With a 5-chan amp you could run the mids and tweets on their own channels and upgrade to an active xover system if you wanted to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.