Tinted windows?

chevy808
10+ year member

Hi
I know this is kinda off the subject but...Has anyone ever tinted your own windows? What products do you use and where do you get them? My windows are too dark and I can't get a saftey check but I don't want to have to pay to retint every year when I can spend that money on sounds!

Not a good idea. I've seen a lot of botched jobs, and if you've seen what a botched job looks like, you'll have air bubbles, spots, creases.. then you'll have to do it all over again.

me and my dad have tinted windows before and its not that hard. you should be able to get limo tint from any parts store. the only things you have to do that doesn't say on the box is clean the windows thorughly as well as your hands. thats real important. make sure your hands are clean. a squgee is helpful as well as a sharp car model knife that you can get at wal-mart

i dunno..tints can be really hard to get right. A few of my friends have tints, as well as myself, and you can tell who had it done professionally and who tried it themself. The way I see it, why throw away 80 or more dollars on tint that will probably have to be re-done? Then you're out more money than you'd like to be. Not to say that you can't do it, it's just that it's not that easy. I learned the hard way...lol. Professional is worth the extra money. Just my two cents

I recently just had my tinting professionaly done. I have no regrets about spending the extra money on having them do it. It cost me $200 ($180 for Passenger, Driver, Rear, and two quarter windows - $20 for a sunstrip on the windshield). Like most of the others have said, this is somewhere where you probably want to let the pros do it. It had never crossed my mind to do it myself due to all the terrible (and I do mean terrible) jobs I have seen around by people doing it themselves. Also at most respectable shops you get a guarantee of no bubbling, no peeling, and no fading/discoloration, so you're pretty much worry free. It'd be quite the other case if you did it yourself.

Just remember most shops have computerized cutters, the correct tools and materials, and most of all the experience.

I tried tinting my own windows, I only wasted my money and time. I gurantee you will get really frustrated. You wont like the bubbles and its hard to cut it good. Its so much easier to have it done professionally, and it will look 100% better!

Originally posted by donaldlovescara listen to you guys,leave it to a pro?how many times you were told that about your car audio?anyone who wants to try go for trial and error are the only way to learn.
I was never told that...but I was never told that about driving a plane neither, so I'll be your pilot for your next trip...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i tinted my windows myself to save money and it turned out with no bubbles. but you can still tell a little difference between mine and a professional job. i did my car for $50. i hate bubles so i had to redo one of the windows. so now there are no bubles. but that **** is hard as hell. just take it to a prof.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.