Tinsel Lead/Opening a Type-R?

Nevalite
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Canada
Hey,

For 2 months I have been trying to figure out why my system is sometimes working and sometimes not... Turns out that the tinsel lead is either broken or very loose. Now I read that post about how to fix the tensil lead and I think I can do it myself, only problem is I can't seem to find it...

I have an Alpine Type-R, where is the tinsel lead? How do I get at it? I noticed in the product description they say: "Integrated Tinsel Lead Design" I don't like the sound of that lol.

Any idea how to open up a type-r and get at the tinsel lead?

Thanks

***Sorry this is a repost I realized it goes in the sub section not general.

Taking out the soft parts is actually pretty easy on a Type-R.

First, take off the trim ring around the edge of the sub. Now, pull the surround off the basket, this is fairly easy and I was able to pull it off with my fingers. Next, bend the cone back a little, and look into the basket, there should be like ~5 or so screws holding the spiders in. Take all those out. Now, take a flat screwdriver and pry up the spider landing. Its glued down, but pretty easy to remove. Pull, and bam you have a disassebled Type-R.

As far as the tinsels go I didnt mess with those so you're on your own there. IIRC they are either in between or on one of the two spiders.

I've been told that the tinsel leads are actually inside the bottom spider and that fixing them means basically destroying the sub...

I've been told that the tinsel leads are actually inside the bottom spider and that fixing them means basically destroying the sub...
Yup, and I'll tell you the exact same thing here on this site.

The only way to access the tinsels is to destroy the sub.

/thread.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Nevalite

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Nevalite
Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date