Time to rebuild

Participant count
  • Participant list

Braindead

Senior VIP Member
York, SC
I feel like it's time to plan my next build to get louder and push more air, and i have a few ideas.

The first is adding a third xd-10 to the two i already have, and running them @1500w at 2.something ohms. This is kinda what i'm leaning towards but the two I currently have are pretty beat up, seeing as they were my first subs and I experimented with them accordingly. At one point I sent each 200w extra to each for 5 songs trying to show off, ended up filling my car with the smell of coils.

The second idea I have is one beefy 15 (don't want to give up the space for an 18) and run it at anywhere from 1000w-1500w depending on the sub I choose; a few subs that i'm considering are a DC lvl4, Tantric HD, Sundown X or Fi Q. The sub would get a ported box built to spec from a builder on here.

The third would be two 12's, but that'd be kinda last ditch.

Anyways, which would move more air and get louder? The 10's with more cone area, or the 15 with way more excursion? Is the extra excursion going to beat out the extra area, and move more air? If possible I'd like to move hair around inside my car, I know I won't be pulling hair tricks with a setup like this but I care more about the inside than the outside.

Amp choice will depend on the setup, but with the 15 I'd probably go with a D1 and keep my current amp.

If your sig is correct, you should first start looking at bigger wire and probably upgrading your electrical before you worry about moving hair. It doesn't really matter how much cone area and excursion you have if you don't have the electrical to allow your amp(s) to make that kind of power and 4 gauge isn't enough.

After that, it depends on the subs you choose. Larger cone does not equal more excursion. For instance, an SA-10 has more xmax than an XD-15 so, three SA-10s will move more air than one XD-15, all other things being equal. In fact, an SA-8 has more xmax than an XD-15, so 4 of those will move more air than one XD-15... on paper.

Another thing to consider is that in order to move hair with the power and cone area you're talking about, you'll have to deaden the hell out of everything in your vehicle and, the box will have to be optimized for the subs and the environment without respect to saving space. And that's likely to involve several rebuilds of the box.

If you can't (or don't want to) do the build yourself I would focus on electrical, deadening and power first. Then I would look at two 15s minimum. That's a lot of cabin to fill before hair starts to move around. ;-)

If your sig is correct, you should first start looking at bigger wire and probably upgrading your electrical before you worry about moving hair. It doesn't really matter how much cone area and excursion you have if you don't have the electrical to allow your amp(s) to make that kind of power and 4 gauge isn't enough.
After that, it depends on the subs you choose. Larger cone does not equal more excursion. For instance, an SA-10 has more xmax than an XD-15 so, three SA-10s will move more air than one XD-15, all other things being equal. In fact, an SA-8 has more xmax than an XD-15, so 4 of those will move more air than one XD-15... on paper.

Another thing to consider is that in order to move hair with the power and cone area you're talking about, you'll have to deaden the hell out of everything in your vehicle and, the box will have to be optimized for the subs and the environment without respect to saving space. And that's likely to involve several rebuilds of the box.

If you can't (or don't want to) do the build yourself I would focus on electrical, deadening and power first. Then I would look at two 15s minimum. That's a lot of cabin to fill before hair starts to move around. ;-)
I was thinking the larger the coils and motors, the more xmax and therefore the more air moved. And it's true what you said about my electrical, I'm looking at an ho alt w/ 0 gauge wiring and big 3, probably a duralast plat under the hood and maybe a small battery in the back if the need arose, but I'm not really sure that'd happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't two 15's want around 6-8 cubes of space total? Moving hair isn't really a necessity, it's more of a petty desire lol. Right now I need enough cargo room for groceries and such far more than I need to **** off my girlfriend. But back on topic, electrical taken care of would three 10" XD's be outpreformed by one of the beefy 15's (higher excursion and all) I mentioned like I think they would, or would it not be enough of a difference to warrant roughly $1000 for the sub, amp and box?

I've had best luck getting loud in my Jeep GC with single 15. You only have about 6 cube net to work with if you want to stay under the window line and have adequate bracing and port area so plan around that.

I feel like it's time to plan my next build to get louder and push more air, and i have a few ideas.
The first is adding a third xd-10 to the two i already have, and running them @1500w at 2.something ohms. This is kinda what i'm leaning towards but the two I currently have are pretty beat up, seeing as they were my first subs and I experimented with them accordingly. At one point I sent each 200w extra to each for 5 songs trying to show off, ended up filling my car with the smell of coils.

The second idea I have is one beefy 15 (don't want to give up the space for an 18) and run it at anywhere from 1000w-1500w depending on the sub I choose; a few subs that i'm considering are a DC lvl4, Tantric HD, Sundown X or Fi Q. The sub would get a ported box built to spec from a builder on here.

The third would be two 12's, but that'd be kinda last ditch.

Anyways, which would move more air and get louder? The 10's with more cone area, or the 15 with way more excursion? Is the extra excursion going to beat out the extra area, and move more air? If possible I'd like to move hair around inside my car, I know I won't be pulling hair tricks with a setup like this but I care more about the inside than the outside.

Amp choice will depend on the setup, but with the 15 I'd probably go with a D1 and keep my current amp.
IMO the more cone are is going to be louder also those 3 subs vs the 1 SHOULD have more motor force again that 1 sub.

I was thinking the larger the coils and motors, the more xmax and therefore the more air moved. And it's true what you said about my electrical, I'm looking at an ho alt w/ 0 gauge wiring and big 3, probably a duralast plat under the hood and maybe a small battery in the back if the need arose, but I'm not really sure that'd happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't two 15's want around 6-8 cubes of space total? Moving hair isn't really a necessity, it's more of a petty desire lol. Right now I need enough cargo room for groceries and such far more than I need to **** off my girlfriend. But back on topic, electrical taken care of would three 10" XD's be outpreformed by one of the beefy 15's (higher excursion and all) I mentioned like I think they would, or would it not be enough of a difference to warrant roughly $1000 for the sub, amp and box?
Chances are that a beefy 15 with around 30mm of xmax will do better. But then, a 1500 watt 15 may not reach its full potential on the power you're sending so the 10s may be the best bet if you're not planning on upping your power. You may be better served to spread that power around to three smaller motors.

How much air space are you planning on having for this setup? 1 15" will need about 4-4.5 cubes (ideally). If you could sqeeze out just a bit more run 4 10"s.

How much air space are you planning on having for this setup? 1 15" will need about 4-4.5 cubes (ideally). If you could sqeeze out just a bit more run 4 10"s.
I'd be looking at 4 ideally but I believe I could squeeze 5 and still have the room i need, but i have to measure. If I were to go with 5 cubes I'd try to find 15's that like smaller enclosures or possibly 4 XFL 10's or a similarly powerful 10 but to be honest that'd destroy the bank to afford that many high end subs. The subs I have now (which i consider to be in between low and high end) would probably slam if there were 4 of them... I'm gonna have to think this one out haha

Chances are that a beefy 15 with around 30mm of xmax will do better. But then, a 1500 watt 15 may not reach its full potential on the power you're sending so the 10s may be the best bet if you're not planning on upping your power. You may be better served to spread that power around to three smaller motors.
I will up my power no matter what, it just depends on the setup I choose. Either an amp that does 1500 @2 ohms, or one that does 1500 @1 for a D1 15, or 4 of the 10's, but that's a bit of a stretch.

I'm just not really sure what's the best option. Will a high level 15 be a noticeable difference over the 3 10's, considering either will get a very good enclosure?

One last question, will a 15 be able to hit fast beats like the 10's can?

I will up my power no matter what, it just depends on the setup I choose. Either an amp that does 1500 @2 ohms, or one that does 1500 @1 for a D1 15, or 4 of the 10's, but that's a bit of a stretch.
I'm just not really sure what's the best option. Will a high level 15 be a noticeable difference over the 3 10's, considering either will get a very good enclosure?

One last question, will a 15 be able to hit fast beats like the 10's can?
That all really comes down to the vehicle. But generally speaking, 15s can perform just as well as 10s or 12s. They all make the same bass notes. Some just do it better than others and frankly, size is the last factor to consider in sound quality.

That all really comes down to the vehicle. But generally speaking, 15s can perform just as well as 10s or 12s. They all make the same bass notes. Some just do it better than others and frankly, size is the last factor to consider in sound quality.
How much space would I be looking at for two tantric HD 15's? Could I squeeze them into a 5 cube enclosure, or would they suffocate?

How much space would I be looking at for two tantric HD 15's? Could I squeeze them into a 5 cube enclosure, or would they suffocate?
I don't know TS numbers on those subs but that sounds small. Assuming you mean 5 cubes net, they would be loud as hell but they wouldn't likely play well below 30 Hz.

When you decrease the size of the enclosure, low end extension diminishes, so if that were the space I had to work with, I'd look at 12s.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.