Time alignment help

Participant count
  • Participant list

JohnPD

CarAudio.com Regular
When measuring the distance to each speaker to set the time alignment, which speaker for front components do I measure from, the tweeter in the sail panel, or the woofer in the door? The tweeters are closer to my ears than the door panel woofers are.

Depends. I'd probably use the woofer, but you can experiment. You can even choose a point midway between the door speaker and the tweeter. You're really more concerned about Path Length differences than actual lengths, so if the path length difference between the tweeters is close to the PLD of the woofers, then it won't matter much which you use as a base line.

If you have presets experiment w them and modify from there. I measured once and it sounded decent on some songs and crappy for others.
That's why there are kickpods, HLCD, 3 way component systems, etc. Just slapping a tweeting up high and speaker in the door isn't going to produce good results on a consistent basis.

It's really easy to localize where the sound is coming from when components are farther apart. When I have time aligned components I pick a point midway between the woofer and tweeter and hope for the best.
I've had good luck with tweeters in the kick panel aimed up at the listeners.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...