Threaded rod to hold baffles

Participant count
  • Participant list

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
Im trying my hand at dropping two 15s in my trunk in an IB configuration. My trunk opening to the cabin fits 12s perfectly but 15.65in (not so much.) This has led me to making some...pretty intense modifications to get everything to work.

I have about 6 layers of 3/4 mdf in order to accommodate the 8in mounting depth and the multiple curves of the trunk. Mostly height differences.

The way i have this designed. I can glue all the pieces together and well..that giant block of wood will never come out. Thats not really my goal although the Camry is never gonna be sold. I was thinking instead of drilling 6-8 holes through each piece and running 5/8th threaded rod with nuts on each end to tighten them.

Basically it'd be 6 layers of mdf. 2 15s mounted in it and 8 thread rods through all pieces to really keep them together. Along with L brackets and expanding foam for structural rigidity to the frame.

Curious if you all think rod would be sufficient or if glue is absolutely necessary.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If you glue two pieces of wood together and press them together it'll be plenty strong. If you really want about every 6 in you can use screws to hold it together to act like a clamp

you need glue for something like that.

if you think about it threaded rod will be pressing 2sq inches total, while glue holds the entire baffle of around 400sq inches

you could always put the front baffle piece in and make baffles with the angles and spots cut out you need to get it to work, then glue them in one by one.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.