Thoughts on SQ Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lucid15
10+ year member

Always open to trades!
So i have a Pioneer X5500 BHS Headunit on the way along with some Rainbow SLC 265 Kick COmponents. I am looking for a very clear, but loud SQ setup to go in my 95 eclipse gsx hatchback. I want all tasteful and nice equipment but also nothing too big so i can hide it and make it look stock (besides sub).

I need opinions on a good SQ subwoofer that still has some kick on the lowend when i need it. I don't need too much bass as i dont wanna shake my whole car loose. I've been there before.

Also, i am still thinking i want to get an Alpine PDX (4.150, or 2.150) to power those Rainbow comps and whatever rear 6x9's i choose (should i even get 6x9s?).

Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated, but please don't simply just name a product without a reason it's not helping anyone.

So far i got the HU for $300, $150, i probably don't want to go over $1000 total including Sub, sub amp/comp amp, Wiring Kits, Sound Deadener. So i would say i have about $300 to spend on the sub and sub/comp amp. I dont have a problem with going used. I was thinking about not having a sub at all at one point but since the Kicks arent supposed to go below 80hz, i had to add a sub stage.

I would look at image dynamics idmax series, I have 2 10s and these sound good hit the lows like no other, almost as good as my 15s, and still get loud

I would look at image dynamics idmax series, I have 2 10s and these sound good hit the lows like no other, almost as good as my 15s, and still get loud
Hmm ya ive been hearing alot about the ID subs. Would it still get loud enough if i chose the 8" Subwoofer?

the budget is too low to get you amps and subs unless you find a good deal used and don't try to get a lot of power. you'll have to hold your sub budget to under $100. do you already have the wiring required to install amps? that can wind up cost another $100.

you could start with a 4 channel for the speakers and bridge the channels on the 2300x to a single sub (single 4 ohm). that can get you started with a good sounding system. you can bridge the 4 channel to the fronts only, or run them active. more volume will come with more money.

You can't afford rear speakers at this time so just go without.

focus your time and efforts on the front speaker installation. my build logs are some examples,

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html?highlight=keep_hope_alive+accord

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html?highlight=kha+spl+astro

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html?highlight=keep_hope_alive+scion

****, this is pretty intriguing... I didn't really plan on spending $200 on just the sub, but in all actuality its not too bad. I wonder how this would sound powered by my MTX 2300x if no one buys it?

you can use the 2300x. either bridged to a sub or on the front speakers. with only $300 left you'll need to use whatever you can and buy wisely.

a fancy sub alone does very little to give you SQ. a hundred hours perfecting your speaker install will. the sub enclosure and integration into the vehicle is more important than the sub itself... to a point. only after the install is as perfect as it can be, will speaker/sub choices really start to matter.

i don't exaggerate when i say "100 hours". i consider that a minimum amount of effort for SQ. and that's if you already know how to achieve it. for your first time, double that number. it will be a worthwhile effort and you will learn a lot.

certainly, your budget can do you justice. i just bought an Alpine MRV-F405 used for $100 on eBay. an awesome, active-capable amp from a good time in audio. plenty of other $100 amp choices out there.

can you build the sub enclosure from scratch?

Ya i guess i kinda use the term SQ very loosely. Im not sure i want to go so hardcore in that i will go active. Ive already ventured into SPL territories in previous builds and want something more "mature" now. I want something that sounds good, but on days that i feel like it, i can crank it up very loud with no distortion. There's some good electronic music out now that i would like to be able to fully enjoy.

Yes i have experience building enclosures, and have access to very good tools. I am comfortable with the process. I wanted to come up with an all inclusive false floor, with sub enclosure, with amp rack add-ons. I dont think it would be too hard once mapped out. Is there someone on the forums who does schematics well?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.