Thoughts On Setting Subwoofer Level With SPL Meter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DaboTheCat

CarAudio.com Recruit
I know this is how it's done in some mixing studios but I am wondering if there is a better way to do this.

I ran pink noise 0-80HZ
And then 80HZ-20000HZ afterwards

Through both my subwoofer and my mains and adjusted the sub level so that it matched the main level of 85 db. Crossover on both set to 80hz.

This next part going to sound dumb, but I heard some joke song "Old Town Road" on the system and it felt like the subwoofer was coming in hot, creating uneven bass notes whenever the subwoofer played. I have some $500 headphones and also some studio bookshelves, and I went home and listened to the funny joke song for reference, and the bass notes sounded completely even, so I'm pretty sure the sub in my car is hot. I turned down the sub in my car -5DB from what the SPL meter suggested and it sounded much more balanced.

Was my methodology wrong in my first attempt of setting by SPL Meter? Would running just 1 pink noise from 0-20000hz through the mains and the subwoofer separately instead yield better results? Or do you recommend just trying to match it to my bookshelves and headphones by ear?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.