This mother ******

LosIsATool
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
@pro\-rabbit ;
I spent hours designing my next box. What I had... 35.5 Wide, 36 Deep, 11 High. Port was 1.85 deep, 34 wide. Net was 1.72 per sub shared champer. It came out to 18sq per cube of port area, 32hz tune.

Since I cant build my own **** i had the cheapest guy in town do it. He is a DD, DC dealer so he does build good enough. This mother ****** says some of the dumbest **** but all he had to do was follow my drawing.

He decides from his wisdom that I need more port so he makes it 2 inches deep with out redoing anything else. when I punched in the numbers it came out to 1.8 net per sub with 21 sq inches of port per cube. 34hz tune

I also asked for only a cross brace, 3 inches tall for both front and back, left to right... He desides to run a full front and back sheet but not run it down the hole box. It stops where the port starts.

Basically when we metered it I didnt think my set up could be that quiet. It only did a 43 at 48hz peak.

My question, did it mess up that much with the idiot changing the port are without doing anything else or is this just not going to work. The port has about 3 inches of clearance from the hatch lid.View attachment 26534714

If he altered the port area with out adjusting anything else it is the builders fault and needs to be redone. While I'm not a fan of that particular design, it may work out using the hatch as a loading wall of sorts.

Sounds to me like you need to explain to him that he needs to follow directions...if you don't think he can do that, then just find a cabinet builder and have him make the cuts for you.

143 is not horrible, unless it's outlaw lol.

If he altered the port area with out adjusting anything else it is the builders fault and needs to be redone. While I'm not a fan of that particular design, it may work out using the hatch as a loading wall of sorts.
Sounds to me like you need to explain to him that he needs to follow directions...if you don't think he can do that, then just find a cabinet builder and have him make the cuts for you.
Or buy one of Dustins DIY kits bet he does as u request.. May suggest other options but I dnt think he would just flat out change a design cause he thinks its better no matter if it is or is not.....

[quote name='pro-rabbit']If he altered the port area with out adjusting anything else it is the builders fault and needs to be redone. While I'm not a fan of that particular design, it may work out using the hatch as a loading wall of sorts.

Sounds to me like you need to explain to him that he needs to follow directions...if you don't think he can do that, then just find a cabinet builder and have him make the cuts for you.[/QUOTE]

I found a good one but this was paid for about a month ago. @JayDubb757 ;
Would having that much port area effect it that bad?

Ill be honest with you, my box in my truck was built for a tiburon at about 3 1/2ft W. The port for it went about 3 inches in H and was the whole width of the box. When I first ran on the meter, I was doing 43's. Then we found the peak freq that my truck likes which is 49Hz. We made a 90 degree angle elbow piece to shorten up to port that was about 5inches long and stuck that in. My numbers score jumped up 3db just by shortening the port up. Don't know if this helps you but it did for me. try shortening the port a little and meter it, might help might not but it wont take much to do it.

Or buy one of Dustins DIY kits bet he does as u request.. May suggest other options but I dnt think he would just flat out change a design cause he thinks its better no matter if it is or is not.....
This guy is running a DD M4a on **** near stock electrical on 2 3518s and only pulls a 48. He thinks its the ****

Ill be honest with you, my box in my truck was built for a tiburon at about 3 1/2ft W. The port for it went about 3 inches in H and was the whole width of the box. When I first ran on the meter, I was doing 43's. Then we found the peak freq that my truck likes which is 49Hz. We made a 90 degree angle elbow piece to shorten up to port that was about 5inches long and stuck that in. My numbers score jumped up 3db just by shortening the port up. Don't know if this helps you but it did for me. try shortening the port a little and meter it, might help might not but it wont take much to do it.
I'm looking for more then 3dbs out of this *****

[quote name='DCtC']I found a good one but this was paid for about a month ago. @JayDubb757 ;
Would having that much port area effect it that bad?[/QUOTE]

port area helps and hurts depending on the rest of the setup. You can use large amounts of port area in low power applications for daily, or for high power for spl but it depends more on the subs then anything.

increaseing port area and nothing else means tuning was altered as was the net volume. All of which will have it's own effect on the overall outcome of the enclosure.

I don't change designs unless it is talked about prior and the client gives the ok.
As any legit builder should do.... Have yet to see a complaint against rabbit on his boxes or well anything he has sold or built..... Next box will be a DIY from Dustin cause atleast I know I will get exactly what I paid and asked for... Our personalitys may clash on many things but he knows his boxes and thats all that matters when buying a box.

It got finished late last nigh and soon as I turned it on i knew something was wrong. Then after I ran the meter I wanted to hit that guy in the face. I wanted to cool off before I seen him again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LosIsATool

5,000+ posts
CarAudio.com Veteran
LosIsATool
Pensacola, Florida
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date