Think I'm going crazy

Participant count
  • Participant list

Volvo_S80

Ma
Hello again, I'm back with yet another noise thread. I don't know whats right or wrong anymore!!

I uninstalled my MS-8 again to send it in again... while I was doing this I tested for noise again. The noise is everywhere.

If I connect a tweeter to my factory amp I get noise

If I connect a tweeter to the MS-8 with no input connected I get noise

If I connect a tweeter to my zed leviathan with no RCA's hooked up I get noise

If I connect a tweeter to my DD m2c I get noise (a lot louder)

The noise is faint but it is there.

The tweeter is an old alpine type r tweeter I had laying around, thinking it might be the tweeter I tried the CDT tweeters I had up front (still cheap tweeter's but different) with the same results.

So I moved on to some infinity kappa's I had laying around. 6.5 2 way with a built in crossover and I couldn't hear the noise from any of the amp's except for the DD m2c.

It's not a whine or anything it's just a constant static. I did all testing with the car not running. I also cleaned all the grounding points just for fun.

Is it because they are cheap? I feel like the noise was there with the kappas but I could barely hear the crackle noise made when you touch a speaker wire to an amp that's on.

Is it a very slight hiss if you put your ear up to the speaker? If you can't hear it with your ear about 1-2 feet away, that is normal.

An amplifier is a gain device, so anything that it can pickup (EMI, static), it will amplify and usually come out as white noise. There are some input and power filtering built into amps, but if it dampens the noise too much, you also dampen the sound and clarity/headroom.

I have only had maybe 1 or 2 installs that didn't have at least a very slight hiss when your ear is right up to the speaker. Can't hear it in a normal listening position.

I'll check again this weekend to see if it is there on all sources. I was only testing the factory amp on FM with the volume all the way down.

It makes noise on the zed with no rca hooked up at all (no source) It is slight and not intrusive but it's still there and the same white noise.

I'm going to hook up the tweeters directly to my factory amp and see what happens while I'm there I'll upgrade the factory amp's ground.

I will move the grounds in the trunk again but I don't know to where now. I tested the resistance with a DMM and got 0.0 from my battery terminal to my grounding spots. Is there another way of testing grounds? I also have a 1/0 run from my negative terminal to the trunk. Could the battery be the cause? It's Duralast.

It is a very slight hiss but I can hear it in normal listening position you can't really hear it with the car started.

Ok Still had noise with the tweeter hooked right up to my factory amp.

I upgraded the ground to my factory amp and also cleaned up the splices and neatened it all up.

image4%202_zpsbv831ci6.jpg

image3%203_zps36kzjt8e.jpg

I am going to order a capacitor because I lost the factory one and I'm also going to grab a ground loop isolator to see if it will help. Any suggestions?

For now I will move on to building an amp rack. I haven't had the zed in my trunk for a couple months so it's time to get on with it.

Here's my current idea on amp positioning I'm going with sanded plywood and I'm going to stain it black or grey.

image1%206_zpsxa4avczd.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.