think i bought the wrong sub amp combo ohm wise help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

KoloradoB

So i'm new to this stuff have a question any info would help.

I bought a Alpine-SWR-12D2 dual 2-ohm sub off ebay

and Alpine-MRV-M500 amp its 2ohm 500 rms 4 ohm 350rms

i was thinking 2ohm amp. 2 ohm sub= 500rms and i beleave i just found out im wrong so this set up will have to be set at 1ohm"amp cant handle" or 4ohms this that right??

and if it has to be set at 4ohm is 350watts way under powered for a single type r?

im totally confused any info would help thxs.

According to Alpine the sub is 500watts rms per coil. Now your amp is 500watts at 14v at 2ohms and 300watts at 4ohms at 14v. Not 350.

So if we wire your sub to utilize both coils 4ohm's you would be running at roughly 150 watts per coil.

Or

You can run one coil at 2ohm's and get 300 watts to a single coil. Although from what i hear in the forums that is not advisable. Wont really hurt the sub much.

I say sell the amp and get an amp that runs stable at 1 ohms like SD, American Bass, RE and so on. Now if you want to stick with alpine only to match your gear then the pdx or mrx series will give more juice. Though at that price you can buy something beefier from another maker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.