The quest for two 15"s

timma100
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So this thread is speculation at this point, currently I have one Zv.4 15" in the trunk, a Nightshade V3 15" on the way, and want to run a pair of nightshade 15"s if I can make an enclosure work. Where I'm extremely limited is available width, the slot ported enclosure I currently have is 16.5"H X 33"W, and I will need to, "Modify" the forward portion of the trunk so it can slide up to the back of the seats to be sealed. (Basically hammer the metal in the trunk out of the way). Depending on my success with this I may be able to utilize a 34"W but I don't know for sure until I start working that metal.

Is there anyway a dual 15" box could be made in the aforementioned dimensions? I was playing around with sketchup and it looks like it could work utilizing 2 6" aero ports centered at the top and bottom (Allowing the two woofers to be close together) But with so much weight and material missing from this single piece I'm concerned it would be come weak. I could do a double baffle, and use dowels to secure it to the back, but I just don't know for sure.

So this thread is speculation at this point, currently I have one Zv.4 15" in the trunk, a Nightshade V3 15" on the way, and want to run a pair of nightshade 15"s if I can make an enclosure work. Where I'm extremely limited is available width, the slot ported enclosure I currently have is 16.5"H X 33"W, and I will need to, "Modify" the forward portion of the trunk so it can slide up to the back of the seats to be sealed. (Basically hammer the metal in the trunk out of the way). Depending on my success with this I may be able to utilize a 34"W but I don't know for sure until I start working that metal.
Is there anyway a dual 15" box could be made in the aforementioned dimensions? I was playing around with sketchup and it looks like it could work utilizing 2 6" aero ports centered at the top and bottom (Allowing the two woofers to be close together) But with so much weight and material missing from this single piece I'm concerned it would be come weak. I could do a double baffle, and use dowels to secure it to the back, but I just don't know for sure.
Not sure what you mean exactly. Draw me a picture //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Not sure what you mean exactly. Draw me a picture //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Since I don't have computer access it's gonna be hard.. sorry man.. so both woofers and aero ports are on the same side (facing into the car from the trunk) while staying within 33"W and 16.5h could a single side be made to those dimensions while housing two 15s and two 6" aero ports

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It is unlikely that you can fit all that in a trunk properly. You'd be hard pressed to get a pair of 12s + adequate port installed like that unless it is like a 1970s cadillac or other monster trunk.

The guys I've seen successfully "walling off" a trunk use single 15 or a pair of 10s. Too little port area will be disastrous as will skimping out on the box (using 1 layer where 2 + bracing is appropriate). Sacrificing box volume will also rob you of output and low extension.

How much box volume and port area do you expect to have when all is said and done?

Have you thought about not sealing off the trunk. Forward firing with a large 10" side firing port can work really well.

Thats my 15s in the altima. 40" wide.

After your subs youre only going to have 3" left with your 34" width.
God **** dude that looks awesome thanks for posting the pic! What's the displacement for each woofer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thats my 15s in the altima. 40" wide.

After your subs youre only going to have 3" left with your 34" width.
If two 15"s is unrealistic, Id like to do a single 6" aero ported box with 4.25ft^3 of displacement, this may even make a box with a 32"W possible which would allow me to put it directly against the back of the seats without "Modifying" any of the trunk.. Anyone know a box builder who would make something like that? I've seen plenty from customeboxshop but they're all Kerfed or slot ported.

Where do you house your amplifiers? Under the back seats or another spot? The OD of a nightshade 15 is actually 15.58 if I remember correctly, so I'd have even less space than that. Below is the current box housing my Zv.4 15", I have already blown the top off, and screwed it back on.. I was planning to add big *** wood screws and liquid nail to all corners and hope for the best. The box is 4ft^3 so about .25ft^3 shy of what a nightshade would need
enclosure_40msw115round_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol who needs groceries
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
I can put stuff in the backseat, but if we need room for more then we can just take my wifes explorer.

If two 15"s is unrealistic, Id like to do a single 6" aero ported box with 4.25ft^3 of displacement, this may even make a box with a 32"W possible which would allow me to put it directly against the back of the seats without "Modifying" any of the trunk.. Anyone know a box builder who would make something like that? I've seen plenty from customeboxshop but they're all Kerfed or slot ported.
Where do you house your amplifiers? Under the back seats or another spot? The OD of a nightshade 15 is actually 15.58 if I remember correctly, so I'd have even less space than that. Below is the current box housing my Zv.4 15", I have already blown the top off, and screwed it back on.. I was planning to add big *** wood screws and liquid nail to all corners and hope for the best. The box is 4ft^3 so about .25ft^3 shy of what a nightshade would need
enclosure_40msw115round_1.jpg
Sub diplacement is .14 each.

I have my batteries and amps in the floor board behind the front seats.

I can put stuff in the backseat, but if we need room for more then we can just take my wifes explorer.

Sub diplacement is .14 each.

I have my batteries and amps in the floor board behind the front seats.
If I didn't have so many idiots in my car, id probably do the same. That's a sweet setup man!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

timma100

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
timma100
Barksdale AFB
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date