The next dumb question

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I have another borderline retard question for a car audio guru. So I hear that using non-matching subwoofers (2 different subs), can cause odd problems. Also hear that its better to use 1 amp to 2 subs vs 2 amps to 2 subs.

Questions:

What exactly is the main issue with pairing non-matching subwoofers?

What about an alpine 5th gen type r(1000wrms) and a 4th gen type x(1000wrms)?

What about 2 identical amps?

The thing is, a guy locally is selling a used type X and the price is right. Already have a type r and they have similar power handling and considering they are same brand name, thought maybe they would pair together reasonably well.

Thanks in advance for answering an idiot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Also I'd value the input of someone who has tried this type of thing.

Mismatching subs can be a problem if one sub is stronger than the other(s). The pressure off the back of the cone can actually cancel out the other subs movement causing it to reduce output considerably.

In your case you could probably be alright but the best thing to do if you are going to run them is separate them into two separate but identical boxes.

Running two amps instead of one isnt a bad thing. If each sub is a dual 2 ohm then you can wire each one to an amp at 1 ohm to get max power from the amps. If they are dual 4 ohm then you should just wire them together to one amp for a 1 ohm final load.

If you do use two amps you need to either gain match them or bridge them to run it properly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.