The infamous W7

i beg to differ!!! im a musician and i for one think that i have a very good musical ear and those w7's are not sq. they have a tubby sound,kinda like a plastic bag in a pillow case being hit with a saint benard skull tone. i've listened to those subs in a 350z(ported-12w7) tahoe(3 13.7 sealed) mustang (12w7 ported), and maxima(2 10w7 ported). the subs hit hard and get low but i can hear the woofer move, unlike the idq series,idmax, and dls iridiums the w7 hasnt got a chance matching the subs i just listed for sq. dont get me wrong i wanted the w7's because i heard nothing but good things about them plus i thought they were pretty sexy to. i had a friend that was one of the top installerrs in atl working for hifi buys andd every w7 install he would let me listen to the system to make sure the w7's were what i wanted. i passed

wow all that and you're still wrong---the W7 was designed for Sq. good for you for listening to them tho and if you friend who is a "top installer" can't get sq outta a dub 7 then maybe he should be working at sam's club install bay.

They might not be able to keep up with the IDmax in SQ but they are one of the higher end SQL subs out there. Some folks love them and I really do not think that one can go wrong with one, they get very loud with low wattage and sound pretty darn good doing it. I do think that they take more attention when integrating them into a system properly.

I would probably go with the Brahma if I had one choice but would not be upset with the W7. I am a musician as well, I play the skin-flute and dabble with the upright organ.

I am amazed this argument is still going on 2 years later. No one is ever going to agree that one subwoofer is the best subwoofer so why bother dragging it out. Is it not enough to realize that the W7, IDMAX, and brahma have all been argued over for years to realize that these are all top of the line speakers none of which can truly be discredited whatsoever. With the proper enclosure and setup any of these speakers will more than satisfy.

I am amazed this argument is still going on 2 years later. No one is ever going to agree that one subwoofer is the best subwoofer so why bother dragging it out. Is it not enough to realize that the W7, IDMAX, and brahma have all been argued over for years to realize that these are all top of the line speakers none of which can truly be discredited whatsoever. With the proper enclosure and setup any of these speakers will more than satisfy.

exactly

i totally agree

however, people saying that the w7 sounds like crap or is an spl driver are simply wrong

whoo-hoo!!! i love this thread!! because i have an idMAX!! yipeEEEEE!!! my 220 dollar idMAX has better SQ than a 985749 dollar w7!! wa-hooOOo!! i think my money was well-spent //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

A W7 an SQ sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I know see you bassheads have been thoroughly brainwashed... No "supersubs" are SQ, they are SQL, meaning they maintain decent sound at loud volumes, not good/great. An SQ sub is meant to play flat with other components in the car, a W7 is obviously not.

A W7 an SQ sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gifI know see you bassheads have been thoroughly brainwashed... No "supersubs" are SQ, they are SQL, meaning they maintain decent sound at loud volumes, not good/great. An SQ sub is meant to play flat with other components in the car, a W7 is obviously not.
That's the totally false.

All of the subs mentioned (W7, Brahma, IDmax, etc) are some of the lowest distortion subs on the market. No agruing that; it's fact. 2nd, you are correct; all of them are capable of high output levels. But, that doesn't mean you need to use all of that excursion //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Having a high Xmax does more for you than simply acheiving high output.....a high Xmax sub will allow you to use very little of the sub's linear excursion capabilities to obtain a proper level-matching output. Simple comparison; two subs, one with 13mm Xmax and one with 33mm Xmax. Now, excurt them both to 10mm. Which will have less distortion?? The 33mm Xmax sub.

So, please show me again how these "supersubs" are not sound quality subs??

i beg to differ!!! im a musician and i for one think that i have a very good musical ear and those w7's are not sq. they have a tubby sound,kinda like a plastic bag in a pillow case being hit with a saint benard skull tone. i've listened to those subs in a 350z(ported-12w7) tahoe(3 13.7 sealed) mustang (12w7 ported), and maxima(2 10w7 ported). the subs hit hard and get low but i can hear the woofer move, unlike the idq series,idmax, and dls iridiums the w7 hasnt got a chance matching the subs i just listed for sq. dont get me wrong i wanted the w7's because i heard nothing but good things about them plus i thought they were pretty sexy to. i had a friend that was one of the top installerrs in atl working for hifi buys andd every w7 install he would let me listen to the system to make sure the w7's were what i wanted. i passed

I never said the W7 was everyone's personal favorite....no sub is, and no sub will ever be. Everyone has different tastes, etc. That and there is no guaranty you ever actually heard properly tuned and setup W7.

But, that doesn't mean you can talk ignorantly about it by saying that the W7 is not an SQ sub. That is in fact what it is; it's a simple fact that the W7 is one of the lowest distortion subs on the market.

Does that mean everyone will like it? Ofcourse not. Does that mean everyone should buy it?? Ofcourse not. Does that mean it's the perfect sub for every car and every situation?? Ofcourse not. And I never implied any of it.

WoW Guys...lol

And gonna have to agree with everyone else The w7 is a pure SQ sub and it's ment to be an SQ sub. Just like Squek was saying it's mainly an SQ sub with balls. Those things can pound to no end what so ever, and they will sound better then the majority of any other subs at higher levels.

So I think I'm gonna go with 2 JL w7's and 2 Kicker KX1200.1 wired to 1.5 ohms if I am correct this time around!?

Thank you everyone for your help it's been very helpful!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Echo42987

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
Echo42987
Antioch, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date