The impossible handsfree calling

jeffpas
10+ year member

All I was wanting was an inexpensive radio that I could use primarily for handsfree calling, as using a cell phone in the car held in-hand is illegal in my state.

To my disappointment, I've tried many so far and returned- the caller always comes in loud and clear, but the people on the other end of the line can't hear well at all- many say I sound underwater and/or in a well, or they hear annoying echoes. Some refused to even go on with the conversation.

I'm now on a Dual XDVD770BT- a radio which is fine for my needs, other than the same crap making phone calls. People say I'm in a well, they can't hear me, etc. So frustrating.

The radio has an AUX port for external devices, and there are lots of external plug-in mics you can buy, some quite large and with directional adjustment. However, none of them seem to work- when I plug in the mic, there is no difference with mic reception on the other end. Its as if they simply don't function.

Why do they sell these external mics with AUX plugs, if plugging them in makes no difference? Can anyone help, thanks.

All I was wanting was an inexpensive radio that I could use primarily for handsfree calling, as using a cell phone in the car held in-hand is illegal in my state.To my disappointment, I've tried many so far and returned- the caller always comes in loud and clear, but the people on the other end of the line can't hear well at all- many say I sound underwater and/or in a well, or they hear annoying echoes. Some refused to even go on with the conversation.

I'm now on a Dual XDVD770BT- a radio which is fine for my needs, other than the same crap making phone calls. People say I'm in a well, they can't hear me, etc. So frustrating.

The radio has an AUX port for external devices, and there are lots of external plug-in mics you can buy, some quite large and with directional adjustment. However, none of them seem to work- when I plug in the mic, there is no difference with mic reception on the other end. Its as if they simply don't function.

Why do they sell these external mics with AUX plugs, if plugging them in makes no difference? Can anyone help, thanks.
Most headunits you have to go into the settings to change over to an external mic.
Also you seem to be buying lowend non brand names like dual. You're taking a risk of getting a headunit that can heat up fast and lose functionality overtime.

You maybe better off getting a lower quality pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine headunit with a external mic.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I can't seem to find any setting change to external mic.

As far as the low end, between jobs and this vehicle is going to be sold eventually. The replacement has far more functionality than the factory radio, which broke (in fact it even plays dvds and has a color TFT screen, which is what I need for listening to audio books, and seeing all the chapters). But there is nothing comparable I can find with other manufacturers that isn't far more expensive, this was around $80. I can't justify spending a fortune on a radio I'm not even going to keep.

I considered opening up the radio and directly wiring the AUX jack to the mic, but its just not possible with newer models like this.

I can't seem to find any setting change to external mic.As far as the low end, between jobs and this vehicle is going to be sold eventually. The replacement has far more functionality than the factory radio, which broke (in fact it even plays dvds and has a color TFT screen, which is what I need for listening to audio books, and seeing all the chapters). But there is nothing comparable I can find with other manufacturers that isn't far more expensive, this was around $80. I can't justify spending a fortune on a radio I'm not even going to keep.

I considered opening up the radio and directly wiring the AUX jack to the mic, but its just not possible with newer models like this.
I missed the aux comment.
AUX is only meant for a input source like mp3 player or CD player or iPod.

NOT for a microphone.

In the picture you do not have a mic jack.
b74af8bd8b64586fc09c3f834c43e25f.jpg

This is a pic of another headunit (pioneer avh-270bt).

More expensive, but using it as an example to show that the headunit NEEDS to have a microphone port to use an external mic.
1e65179b7eef6c13b8fc0c5466061d23.jpg

Strange thing is, if I hook the smartphone up to the aux jack, and turn the radio to AUX, I can make calls and it uses the external mic off the phone.

Unfortunately once BlueTooth kicks in, and you start using the wireless feature it automatically switches from AUX to Bluetooth, and back to the cheap microphone.

These instructions below seem a bit moot. They tell you to first wire up an AUX jack, then plug in a mic. I already have an AUX jack, it just doesn't work. Sheesh.

How to Wire a Car Microphone to Your Car Speaker System | DoItYourself.com

The only thing Ive found that has met my needs as I drive for work on the daily and put plenty of miles..I found 1-- just a plain jane Blutooth earpiece works the best,, and at times I use my Garmin GPS that has phone feature as well. Both sound great on both ends.The louder you turn you HU up, the more the echo from my experience..Placing an external mic just up on the visor above the drivers seat woks a bit better..but find that my ear piece works the best for $40 bucks.I have also bought that magnatized dash mount for the phone as it works very well and very visable when needed at my reach.Ive never found the HU to work well..even stock GPS HUs

All I was wanting was an inexpensive radio that I could use primarily for handsfree calling, as using a cell phone in the car held in-hand is illegal in my state.To my disappointment, I've tried many so far and returned- the caller always comes in loud and clear, but the people on the other end of the line can't hear well at all- many say I sound underwater and/or in a well, or they hear annoying echoes. Some refused to even go on with the conversation.

my cheap kenwood works good but calling through radio looking at screen is impossible driving.. answering calls is easy and works great..

stay away from garbage head units, plain and simple. When you buy any boss/dual/pyle/soundstream or whatever bottom tier head unit, you can expect quality in all aspects to match the brand's horrible quality reputation.

I can't seem to find any setting change to external mic.As far as the low end, between jobs and this vehicle is going to be sold eventually. The replacement has far more functionality than the factory radio, which broke (in fact it even plays dvds and has a color TFT screen, which is what I need for listening to audio books, and seeing all the chapters). But there is nothing comparable I can find with other manufacturers that isn't far more expensive, this was around $80. I can't justify spending a fortune on a radio I'm not even going to keep.

you messed up and wasted 80 dollars on overpriced garbage.

This particular head unit would have done the job waaay better along with offer you endless audio possibilities for 80 dollars and it includes the dash kit and wiring harness... JVC used to be crap as well but ever since kenwood took them over, their quality has skyrocketed to kenwood levels.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-aN9OUggNL8C/p_105KDX340B/JVC-KD-X340BTS.html

return the head unit and get something better. It doesnt sound like something you can ghetto rig to fix IMO from what you said. Microphone port might be bad from the start.

Well, that may be great but it doesn't play CDs or DVDs, it doesn't have the color TFT display I wanted.

Actually I'm perfectly fine with the sound quality of the XDVD770BT. It has a good interface and pretty much all I was looking for. And my speaker system probably isn't good enough to show up the difference anyway.

Except the microphone ***** and that is maddening.

I just don't like the plasticy clown colored ELO look of a lot of the new aftermarket radios.... although that one is not comparatively bad :/

It sure seems like the AUX on this radio can take an external mic, it just won't, if that makes sense because they didn't put the feature in their setup software.

Bastards :/

Well, that may be great but it doesn't play CDs or DVDs, it doesn't have the color TFT display I wanted.Actually I'm perfectly fine with the sound quality of the XDVD770BT. It has a good interface and pretty much all I was looking for. And my speaker system probably isn't good enough to show up the difference anyway.

I just don't like the plasticy clown colored ELO look of a lot of the new aftermarket radios.... although that one is not comparatively bad :/

It sure seems like the AUX on this radio can take an external mic, it just won't, if that makes sense because they didn't put the feature in their setup software.

Late reply, but the way most devices read the mic, it actually has a ring on the connector where the mic is connected too.
But in this case the mic ring on the connector is located in a different spot which causes the aux to work, but not a external mic.

If you don't get what I mean, look at the notches where the plug goes smaller. They will differ on the aux and external mic.

Well, that may be great but it doesn't play CDs or DVDs, it doesn't have the color TFT display I wanted.Actually I'm perfectly fine with the sound quality of the XDVD770BT. It has a good interface and pretty much all I was looking for. And my speaker system probably isn't good enough to show up the difference anyway.

actually even with stock speakers, it'll be a night and day difference with all the audio tuning options you have, even with stock speakers, you can literally make it like you can see the artist and band performing right in front of your dash all lifelike and stuff, thats how crazy the audio portion of that particular head unit is, it'll make garbage speakers sound great and great speakers sound magnificent, thats the power of a good head unit with a strong dac...

That dual head unit is the lowest end quality from the top to bottom, not even a 16 bit dac or any real audio tuning options either with poor outdated bluetooth capabilities with version 2.1... hella slow data transfer rate vs all the head units doing bluetooth version 3.0 to 4.1 along with a horrible track record of failure within first few months of ownership aka

you just bought a brick doorstop kind of reputation." Besides most people stream via bluetooth with spotify, tidal or pandora nowadays or just local files on the phone. If you have CDs, just put it into flac files on a 128 gig USB and viola you have ALL your CDs organized into one small little connection.

Might as well save up for one of those android head units if you want fancy looking toys, at least those are packed with features and are not slow.

Strange thing is, if I hook the smartphone up to the aux jack, and turn the radio to AUX, I can make calls and it uses the external mic off the phone.Unfortunately once BlueTooth kicks in, and you start using the wireless feature it automatically switches from AUX to Bluetooth, and back to the cheap microphone.

These instructions below seem a bit moot. They tell you to first wire up an AUX jack, then plug in a mic. I already have an AUX jack, it just doesn't work. Sheesh.

How to Wire a Car Microphone to Your Car Speaker System | DoItYourself.com
Have you considered just turning your bluetooth off and using the phone in thus manner.

>Have you considered just turning your bluetooth off and using the phone in thus manner.>

Yes of course, except that I have to fish around for and find and plug in the cord, and turn it to AUX every time someone calls while its ringing, or if I call out. Not so great driving in traffic.

I guess I could just hang the phone all the time on the cord connected to the radio, but then I have this cord there in the way, and am forever plugging in and unplugging every time I get in and out.

I found this radio:

https://www.bossaudio.com/auto/car-video-sound-system-auto-stereo-in-dash-single-din-boss-audio-bv7335b/

Appears to have everything I'm looking for, and I've craned my eyes over the pics, appears also to have a back wire for an external plug in mic routed through your dash (not a premounted mic in a hole in the front, which I've been told is the reason for the suckiness).

The only drawback here are some blistering reviews on Amazon. Strangely, the reviews on the Boss page don't seem as bad. But its somehow hard to gauge these things, I've seen before where Amazon gets an unfair pileup of one stars because people all seem to jump in once the kicking frenzy starts, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.