the best Surround Sound for the money

idk i want to feel like im in the movie at points. room is kinda large. umm really dont know the output id want for that?
If you are looking for that theater feel/sound then it is more about staging and such.

In all honesty, if you are not a huge HT buff and are looking for just mind blowing sound. Even the cheaper audio items are not all that bad and can produce a decent sound.

Honestly I would focus a decent amount of the funds on a receiver. That is one area I wouldn't cheap out if you want a good sound and feel.

The receiver would be like the amplifier for car audio correct?
No, amplifiers and receivers are two totally different things. There are receiver/amps but most of them are at the consumer level.

I guess Onkyo is in your budget, just pick up a Parts Express catalog and go crazy!

Or you can go to Radio shack and buy their MPA-250 and four of their 15" model PA speakers. That should be about $400. Still overpaying though.

The receiver would be like the amplifier for car audio correct?

What would be a good company for that?
Best bet is to hit up best buy and other HT retail locations that have setups for you to check out. Play with the units and get a feel and idea for what YOU like. You may be surprised to find that some lower end products will work exactly as you need/want them too and you will save a huge amount of money.

If you got a Fry's nearby that's a good place to start, they usually have most their stuff set up. I've always been a fan of Denon receivers and Polk Audio Speakers when it comes to HT. And like car audio, never pay retail lol

If you want a simple all in one HT in a Box, this is pretty decent Newegg.com - DENON DHT-1312BA 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

although I'd prefer some floor-standing speakers up front

Yamaha makes some nice recievers. It will be easy to find a good reciever if all you use is HDMI. They are cutting down on the analog inputs since most people don't use them anymore. When I was shopping for a new reciever earlier this year Pioneer was one of the only companies that still used analog inputs. Pioneer is know for having a warmer sound. All the Yamahas I have been around get louder compared to Pioneers rated with more power. A great budget brand for speakers is Athena. It is Bestbuys house brand built by Klipsch. Everybody on the hometheatre forums was raving about BIC subs. I got one for 280 shipped. Use coupon code tv15 in the cart to get this price. Klipsch Speakers for sale, polk audio, polk speakers, home theater systems, thx, speakers, premier acoustic, In Wall Speakers, In Ceiling Speakers Call 800-691-6914

I love it. I have the gain set at 1/4 and the reciever sub setting is at the lowest and you can still feel the presents. Not boomy at low level like some of the entry subs that will bottom out when the volume goes up. I have it turned down so my roommate can sleep while I watch tv in my room. Last week it was down to 250.

Please do your self a favor and do NOT buy bose. You can always do better for the money. Think of a receiver as a hu with a big amp built in. (just with out the cd player.) If you can build your own boxes I have some different suggestions for you. Also is a wife or girlfriend going to be part of the decision making? This can have a big impact on what you end up with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.