Terminal leads weaved into spider

HmoobVaj
10+ year member

SoCal
Many of the older subs have the leads going into the side of the cone and then down to the voice coil. I notice most of the newer subs now have the leads weaved into the spider. Is there an advantage of doing it this way?

Many of the older subs have the leads going into the side of the cone and then down to the voice coil. I notice most of the newer subs now have the leads weaved into the spider. Is there an advantage of doing it this way?
All leads run into the cone under the cap where they connect to the coil.The woven ones of nowadays are are woven into the spiders to reduce tensil slap but still run under the dust cap and connect to the coils just like the older ones.

I've heard there are reliability issues with woven tinsels used in SPL applications, but for non-bassheads like me that don't abuse equipment regularly, I don't think there's any problem with it. I know the e12a.22 I've had for almost five years hasn't had any problems yet with them.

I've heard there are reliability issues with woven tinsels used in SPL applications, but for non-bassheads like me that don't abuse equipment regularly, I don't think there's any problem with it. I know the e12a.22 I've had for almost five years hasn't had any problems yet with them.
whats the point if you arent abusing the stiff regularly? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

some of the equipment with the woven leads had some issues, iirc, it wasnt all of it, but personally i think the potential is still there.

but thats not the only flaw in the design... the woven leads affects the mechanical integrity of the suspension, giving non-uniform load dispersion around the spider. this, and the obvius mechanical failure threat, is why most companies are shying away from the woven leads. the damages far outweigh the benefit.

Woven leads can burn or tear through spiders but do prevent tinsel slap.

A "free" lead can have tinsel slap, which can be avoided through careful routing of the lead with respect to cone geometry and minimized by the addition of a felt pad on the bottom of the cone.

A stitched or tied down lead is a good compromise between the two...the lead is stitched into the spider at two or three spots. This minimizes lead slap but keeps the leads out of the spider (for the most part).

some of the equipment with the woven leads had some issues, iirc, it wasnt all of it, but personally i think the potential is still there.

Of the drivers that ive observed personally with woven lead damage, it was mainly because the lack of proper suspension design in the first place. IE: only having two spiders when the particular driver really needed four.

DD has been using integrated tinsel leads forever and I don't see many (if any at all) complaining about them, and they are probably more widely abused than any other sub out there.

It just has to be properly implemented, just like anything else.

Integrated leads are nice and I'm skeptical that 'non-uniform load dispersion' is really an issue...

Felt pads to reduce slap are ghey, and IMO are not necessary....

I use insulated copper lead for all of my recones... with a twist... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Integrated leads are nice and I'm skeptical that 'non-uniform load dispersion' is really an issue...
In the extreme analyzation of spider linearity, woven-in leads do affect how a spider reacts. Imagine little parts of the spider being stiffer than the rest of the spider. That's what happens when you have little slits of aluminum or copper going through your spider fabric. Not to mention that woven-in leads can be problematic with high-power applications (not knocking DD as mentioned above, just going off of our previous experience). There's many reasons we shy'd away from them many many years ago.

Felt pads to reduce slap are ghey, and IMO are not necessary....
They're actually quite affective in reducing lead slap. It's an inexpensive way to eliminate lead slap with a design that would have otherwise had an issue. Our previous generation of Mag's used the felt pads and the pads did an excellent job of eliminating lead slap. For our new drivers we will use woven-on (not woven-in) tinsel leads to eliminate tinsel slap. It has proven to be the best of both worlds - it eliminates slap while allowing the spider to operate more freely.

All leads run into the cone under the cap where they connect to the coil.The woven ones of nowadays are are woven into the spiders to reduce tensil slap but still run under the dust cap and connect to the coils just like the older ones.
not true.

i can name several subs right now that dont go that way. some merely tie into the coil, then are laid down next to it.

Well designed regular leads work very well -- eg: the most recent SI Mag. The Mag has very large amounts of throw and I've *never* had one slap. As far as I know there haven't been any lead issues either.

I am a big fan of the "tied down" lead, hence why I went with that style for my Nightshade SPL sub. DDs method works well too as they don't interfere with the integrity of the spider as they go in between layers and don't weave into the material itself.

I just don't care for leads that are actually woven into the spider material (TC Sounds) or leads that are stuck THROUGH the spider (Konaki and some other Chinese built subs).

Well designed regular leads work very well -- eg: the most recent SI Mag. The Mag has very large amounts of throw and I've *never* had one slap. As far as I know there haven't been any lead issues either.
I am a big fan of the "tied down" lead, hence why I went with that style for my Nightshade SPL sub. DDs method works well too as they don't interfere with the integrity of the spider as they go in between layers and don't weave into the material itself.

I just don't care for leads that are actually woven into the spider material (TC Sounds) or leads that are stuck THROUGH the spider (Konaki and some other Chinese built subs).
send me pics of the Nightshades //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

egg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...