Northeast Region Team NESPL rules question???

CT,DC,DE,MA,MD,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,VT,WV
With the 24" from the back wall and 25" height limit it's not likely to happen.
There is no 24" rule, but there is a 25" rule and that only applies to extended cab pick ups, not SUV's. So the only limit you have in TNESPL is 25" in height. I would think you'd have about 30" between the rear door and the back of the rear seat.

Nice looking solidly built all-arounder, but I'm looking to go all out one way or another, either tune to 55hz where I peak or tune to 30ish for lowz. I put up a 149.1 last weekend and I think that's about the limit without risking smoking amps, and even if I ran the amps to dangerous impedence I doubt I'd see 150.....not in the jeep anyway. This needs a LONGER car that peaks closer to 45 and it would be a monster.

if your using the box for both daily music and burping then you don't want to tune high, keep it closer to 36-40 Hz and you'll be happy with it. Tuning it to 30ish will really hit the lows but will sound like crap on the 45-60 Hz range. I had mine tuned to 33 Hz and hated it, so I changed the tuning to 40 Hz and it slams on everything.

Nice looking solidly built all-arounder, but I'm looking to go all out one way or another, either tune to 55hz where I peak or tune to 30ish for lowz. I put up a 149.1 last weekend and I think that's about the limit without risking smoking amps, and even if I ran the amps to dangerous impedence I doubt I'd see 150.....not in the jeep anyway. This needs a LONGER car that peaks closer to 45 and it would be a monster.

if your using the box for both daily music and burping then you don't want to tune high, keep it closer to 36-40 Hz and you'll be happy with it. Tuning it to 30ish will really hit the lows but will sound like crap on the 45-60 Hz range. I had mine tuned to 33 Hz and hated it, so I changed the tuning to 40 Hz and it slams on everything.

A 3 cube limit is what is in the rules, if you can find an 18" that will work in that limited of a space then go for it, but I don't think you'll find it. You'd have better luck with a single 15" in 3 cubes, if your running the right sub it'll work. My 15" DC XL's are being put into 3 cubes each.
Again, this know it all is giving the wrong info and he's never owned an18.

HISPL, there are a few 18s that will work fine in a 3^3 SEALED enclosure. You can even do a Solo X 18 in a 3^3 sealed box. I've seen and heard a few.

Again, this know it all is giving the wrong info and he's never owned an 18.
Thanks Nate, I forgot you know everything about nothing. I have an 18" RE XXX sitting in my garage right now, Hispls may remember seeing it at the 1st show we did together in West Roxbury. If there's an 18" that will work for music and tones in 3 cubes or less on 2,000 watts I'd like to know which one you say it is. I don't claim to know everything, but I know a lot.

There is no 24" rule, but there is a 25" rule and that only applies to extended cab pick ups, not SUV's. So the only limit you have in TNESPL is 25" in height. I would think you'd have about 30" between the rear door and the back of the rear seat.
Just noticed that last night when I was double checking (I sort of assumed it was to keep people from throwing a box in the back seat)

Have more like 26 front to back tops since I have amps mounted there and the curve of the trunk latch is bumped in a bit.

Again, this know it all is giving the wrong info and he's never owned an18.HISPL, there are a few 18s that will work fine in a 3^3 SEALED enclosure. You can even do a Solo X 18 in a 3^3 sealed box. I've seen and heard a few.
He did have an 18 when I saw him in Roxbury, and I've personally used an 18" BTL and an 18" SOLOX in 4 cubes and thought they weren't doing too well. In fact, just dropping the 15" shocker in the same box was a noticable gain in output.

I would still like to build up an 18, but I think if I go single sub it'll be a 15 at this point (mainly since I have 2 allready, another one I can build up with a couple impedence options) Unless Jacob gets back to me with prices for 18" parts before I have a few hours to do up the 15.

The box I made tuned to 33 is really nice and actually tuned a bit high from what I've been doing. My last box was tuned to 27 and I loved it, but the subs I have now aren't really built for big excursion. I've built a LOT of boxes and really I want either really low or really loud. And I mean extreme either way, no in between. Ideally I'll come up with a box with easily modified tuning that I can do both, otherwise I'll probably keep 2 separate ones built up and try to find a couple strong guys to help me move them in and out around shows.

If I'd never felt 20hz I'd probably be happy with 40hz tuning.... Next year I'll be looking to get into an LMS 18 and tune it with PRs to about 15hz and I'll be at shows burping with pipe organ music for the lulz.

Anyway, I wasted a day with some HU issues and putting in the new amp so I'll be just rolling with the Dave box for this weekend.

The easiest way to change tuning would be using Aero ports, those are really simple to change the tuning. The only time I ran into issues with those was depending on the tuning you want sometimes the port has to be too long and the internal flares hit the sub, or have to be right where the sub is. I had an enclosure a few years ago that used two 4" aero ports for burps, then 3 3" aeros for music. I would have been happy just keep the pair fours for both, but they'd have hit the motors. I had a removable baffle for each set of ports. I'm doing the same thing with my new box too.

You can go the route of having a pair of enclosures, I had one for my competition only 10" Fi's and another for actually playing music, downside is having to swap them out after each show. I'll end up doing that with my new 15's enclosure, as long as I have someone around to help pull it out. My back isn't as good as it used to be.

I remember a couple years ago I saw a competitor with an enclosure that had a really cool slot port that was changeable. It had one port that slid inside the other one like a sleeve and allowed the competitor to have tuning for burps or for daily. Maybe Dave can come up with something like this too.

I remember a couple years ago I saw a competitor with an enclosure that had a really cool slot port that was changeable. It had one port that slid inside the other one like a sleeve and allowed the competitor to have tuning for burps or for daily. Maybe Dave can come up with something like this too.
That's something along the lines of what I was thinking. Actually I got some 8" sono tube to make some round ports out of. I was thinking a huge slot port tuned to 55 with a piece that bolts over it with 1 or 2 8" rounds tuned to @ 30 (35 max). It's something I can do myself, just not as pretty as Dave's stuff unless I invest a few hundred in router bits and pipe clamps. ATM I have more time than money so I'll definitely be doing my own boxes. At the time I had dave do up the one I'm using I had more money than time...and he did me a good trade.

For now Dave box should be competitive in rookie I think. I just need to pull one battery and I'm good to go. (fortunately I had a big ox of a friend here yesterday to help me lift the box). I swear if anybody tried to steal that box with the subs in I'd find them in the driveway in the morning with a hernia and some slipped disks.

Burped a 148.5 today @45 hz. I can't immagine what I could do if I actually tuned to resonance of the jeep. Also looks like running the sundown 3K's at high impedence is utter ****..... at least for competing since the pair of 3Kd's only nets me .6db over the DC 2000.1. The difference is I think the DC wouldn't last too long at this level and the sundowns would go for hours. Also the difference between 2 ohm and 1/2 ohm I guess.

I have a couple songs that peak around 53hz. Still haven't ruled out competing in rookie 1 with a single 15 tuned to 53hz.

See you guys in Epping tomorrow.

For those that don't know, Epping is notorious for inbreeding. There's a couple families that are really full of swing-hips, hare-lips, and club-feet. I know the Heartfords is one, can't remember the others...haven't lived in the area in a while. I dated a chick from there once who's mother had a swing hip....chick was hot as hell though.

If there's an 18" that will work for music and tones in 3 cubes or less on 2,000 watts I'd like to know which one you say it is. I don't claim to know everything, but I know a lot.
Here ya go "Mr. Know it all":

Sealed Enclosure Applications

The SOLOX is designed for Vented enclosure/ High SPL applications and that is where maximum output and

power handling will be achieved. If you are willing to give up maximum SPL and power handling for more low bass

output, then you can utilize our sealed enclosure recommendations.These sealed enclosure recommendations will

give the smoothest response with the most energy at really low frequencies, around 20 to 30 Hz.

The recommended Tuner sealed box will deliver massive amounts of high impact bass and can be driven with

punishing levels of amplifier power.

One of the benefits of the SoloX series high performance suspension system is that they can operate in larger

sealed enclosures for ultra low bass performance (SUV applications) while still maintaining excellent control and

power handling.

SOLOX series woofers also perform well in any sealed enclosure between the Tuner and SUV sizes. These systems

will exhibit some benefits of both (high impact and low extension) generally sounding more like the box to which

they are most closely sized.

These enclosure volume recommendations are for the airspace inside the enclosure and include the displace-

ment of the woofer. Do not make the airspace any greater than recommended.

S18X

Recommended Enclosures

Model

Tuner minimum: 3 cu.ft., F3= 31.6Hz,

Pmax= 6000W

You can take your foot out your mouth now "Mr. Know it all".

Ok first Steve said music "AND" tones in a 3 cube or less box. Read the first 2 sentences of your reply you dummy.... 'The SOLOX is designed for Vented enclosure/ High SPL applications and that is where maximum output and power handling will be achieved. If you are willing to give up maximum SPL and power handling for more low bass output then you can utilize our sealed enclosure recommendations. BTW Kicker blows dude. Solo X is Solo Gay.

" If you know so much build something if not keep ******* Dicks for food stamps"

I've used a couple SOLOX 18's and their "reccomended" max spl box is 10cubes net IIRC, and I believe their "minimum" ported box was around 6 cube. That all being said I wouldn't be shocked if those figures were on the very small side. If Kicker said in their advertizing "this is the cone area of a pair of 15" rounds, you will have substandard performance in any box smaller than 7 cube" you think they'd sell a lot of solo X's? That all being said I did enjoy playing with them, they were pretty loud.

Obviously you can throw huge cone area in a very small sealed box and get reasonable low extension and output in a car. Wish I'd kept one to actually try that for the lulz.

Have you ever tried to put an 18" solo X into a 3 cube box?

Oh, also a SQUARE 18" sub would put me above 180 in^2 anyway so it's not terribly relevent for my needs AND I did NOT intend to buy an 18" sub for this, but I was considering building one from a motor I had allready.. Thanks for turning my thread into a pissing contest though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.