Switching form ported to sealed, my new box

Participant count
  • Participant list

JoshC
10+ year member

The Taco MASTA
Houston, tx
So i decided to let my jbl P1022 have a nice big sealed box to see what kinda of sq i could get out of it and if i thought it sounded better. My reasons for doing this are, 1. im not getting very loud 50-80hz range at all 2. 56hz or so and up give me port noise which surprisingly is heard more then i would of thought and quite honestly driving me insane. My 28-44hz or so range was really mean but just have to large a range of music for that. I honestly believe that these 10's want 1.8-2cuft to play 28-60hz mean, first box was that size and played the best, just took up too much room in my little single cab.

Heres how far we have gotten on the new box, built and sealed. With a layer of bedliner over it now, i believe hes running another layer then some clear finish. Its 10in at the bottom, 5in at the top, 17.5in tall, and 19.5in long= 1cuft

Be putting it in tomorrow right before i drive to houston, so i will get a 3hr testing session with it tomorrow. Ill let you guys know how she sounds

Hows this build look? Wanted to take more intermediate pics but we just knocked it out fast.

View attachment 26529389View attachment 26529390View attachment 26529391

good luck...still dont know why u didnt just build another ported one but let us know what u think..
Because honestly that sub wants a 2cuft box and i dont want to have my seat that far up again, im 6'4 lol

2 cubes sounds kinda big for a 10..but ill take it from ur experience?
It does sound big but i did 3 ported boxes with this sub. First one was 2cuft before displacement super loud but my amp went out(kenwood) and when i put an AP1300 on it honestly didn't sound right(i went from 4ohms to 1 ohm dunno if it was the cause) port was on end slot vertical almost

So we redid the box to 1.25(JBL recommendations) slot port across the bottom, lost alot of range, like alot and got horrible port noise.(port was shooting into plastic tray corner)

Once again a 1.5cuft box was built with slot port facing up in the center, gained some range back 28-45hz sounded rich and deep. about 50hz not so much air moving and a buzzing port noise came with the high Fqs.

So i said **** THIS and went sealed lol hoping for smooth strong response 28-60hz, not as mean as the peak of my ported box but if i could just get it to play as 80% as loud as it did at 30-35Hz for 30-50hz ill be happy

Its really an 11in sub and honestly wants atleaste 600rms, huge triple stack magnet. I think this is why it prefers a large ported box, 2cu ported is about right for a 12 isnt it?

well when u switched amps and it didnt sound the same its the amp...but u said that it was too big anyways
Yea other wise i would of just had at 1.85 or so box built, really 1.5 is biggest i can fit comfortably. To get louder im planning on going 2 10's, this box only ran me 55buxs so i figured it was worth it to get rid of my port noise for now. Either gunna get another D2 jbl, trade my amp for a 1000 @ 2 vs my 1000 @ 1 or get the new DC lvl 2's or some DD 1510's

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.