Sundown ZXV5 1 ohm 12" Air Space? Port shape/size?

Participant count
  • Participant list
This is what I'm working with.

2003 Grand Cherokee

1 Sundown ZXV5 12" 1 ohm (Probably putting a Mmats M2000.1 or 3000.1 on it)

1 Mmats Dreadnaut 12" powered by Rockford Fosgate Prime 1200 (1458rms on birth sheet;)

Do I build one huge box or do I give them both their own air space? I'm thinking yes, give them their own air space considering the Dreadnaut likes a lot of air space and I've been told the Sundown will perform with much less. My Sundown is in transit so I've yet to even see it. My Dreadnaut tuned to 32hz (60 square inches of port opening) in 5.37 cubic feet absolutely slams. Those numbers are way off from suggested. Should I stay close to the suggested 40 inches of port at 32 hz and 2.5 cubic feet of air or have some of you guys found some numbers that the Sundowns do better with?

This is what I'm working with.2003 Grand Cherokee

1 Sundown ZXV5 12" 1 ohm (Probably putting a Mmats M2000.1 or 3000.1 on it)

1 Mmats Dreadnaut 12" powered by Rockford Fosgate Prime 1200 (1458rms on birth sheet;)

Do I build one huge box or do I give them both their own air space? I'm thinking yes, give them their own air space considering the Dreadnaut likes a lot of air space and I've been told the Sundown will perform with much less. My Sundown is in transit so I've yet to even see it. My Dreadnaut tuned to 32hz (60 square inches of port opening) in 5.37 cubic feet absolutely slams. Those numbers are way off from suggested. Should I stay close to the suggested 40 inches of port at 32 hz and 2.5 cubic feet of air or have some of you guys found some numbers that the Sundowns do better with?
You're not going to want to hear this, but I'm betting everyone here is going to tell you to pick one. Running two different subs like that is going to give you cancellation issues and probably sound worse than using one.

Also, do you have the electrical for amps that large?

Actually, I was expecting to hear that. Not hurting my feelings at all because I started with a one sub system. I got my Dreadnaut about 8 months ago and was so impressed with it I decided to be the " I've got one 12'' that will smoke anything you have guy". The 12'' Dread, RF Prime 1200, and building my own box made a nice combo. People I don't know stop by my house to hear the Jeep with one 12 in it soooo. Yeah, I got a little bit of a big head behind that one lol. Okay, so now that my suspicions are somewhat confirmed. Let's just go ahead and scrap the Dread and the RF Prime and focus on the new project.

Like I said before, my new Sundown V5 will be here like Wednesday. What kind of air space and porting should I start with? I do need some advice on my amp though. I can see myself adding another sub down the road. Not too soon, but eventually maybe. Should I go ahead and get something bigger like Mmats 4000.1 so I can run two off of it later or should I go with the 2000.1 and upgrade when I add another sub?

Wait...so your going from asking about airspace for a certain sub that has the newest technology for Sundown to asking about running 2 diff sub brands to diff amps?

So what's the real question here?

My original question was about running the two together, but now have scrapped the idea of keeping the Mmats Dreadnaut and Prime 1200. I am now just looking for ideas on air space, porting, etc for my new Sundown V5.

Any advice on amp choice would be welcomed as well. For instance, I will add another V5 down the road, should I go ahead and get enough amp for both now, like A MMats 4000.1, or should I get a 2000.1 for now and get the larger amp later when I get my second V5?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.