Sundown vs JL?

All_Logix
10+ year member

Formerly CivicGTi
Texas
So I have been trying to get my hands on an ID IDQ 10" for about a month now and its seems they are WAY behind order, so I am considering giving up on it. I am running about 500 RMS and a sealed setup. For SQ, since I have not had the liberty of playing with either of these subs, what is the verdict between the JL W3V3 10" or the Sundown SA10? I have heard good things about the SA10 but nothing in the sq realm... Dont really want to spend more than 250 in the sub, any thought?

sa's are not really meant to be usd in sealed boxes. That and they are not really known as a SQ sub so for SQ I would say JL but I will let my front stage handle the SQ and let my subs do what they are meant to do and thats get nasty...

Yea those are 2 very different subs bro. The JL's are meant to perform well in smaller sealed enclosures for SQ applications, so that's what you want if you're truly going with an SQ set-up. If you want something that gets loud and still sounds clean, SA will not disappoint. I thought I wanted an SQ ride, until I realized I am not willing to spend all the extra cash and modifications and what not that it really takes to get the true SQ out of a car. So, I made things a lot easier and just went with clean and loud and am very pleased //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A friend of mine has been competing in SQ with 2 12w3v3's and doing very well. He's pushing them with a 1500 watt RF amp but is quick to point out that he's not using all of the amp (not even at full volume) and would never run full volume for more than a minute. Because the he would expect the subs to fail.

I don't really feel comfortable playing my 10w6v2 at full tilt for too long and it's being pushed by a 500/1 with the gain set per JL's (conservative) instructions.

Thanks for all of the advice, I was leaning more toward the JL but with all the sundown hype I thought I would ask around. As for the w3 vs the w6, I have considered this alternative but man that is alot more for that subwoofer. I dont want to compete I just have a sensative ear I have come to realize

I forgot to mention that the SQ on the 10W6v2 is really good. The output is stout, but the sub's ability to be both sledge hammer and scalpel is what has really set it apart in my book.

I forgot to mention that the SQ on the 10W6v2 is really good. The output is stout, but the sub's ability to be both sledge hammer and scalpel is what has really set it apart in my book.
the W6 line would be the only line i would ever consider running if i had to.

their just great OS tech.

i wanted the sq route and i got two pairs of theses subs 12w3v3s and both have ****** d. i got a box built to specs and everything, still did not like them. i got two sa 10s and the sq and spl is dead on, i would have skipped on the w3s and gone straight to the sundowns if i knew better. shoot i really dont even need two of them they are so good

If you only have a 500 watt rms amp then the sa should be out of the equation they are super underrated and you'd need at least twice that to get everything out of it at least in my case that is the problem.

Humm, kind of some mixed opinions... I dont think I can do the ssa icons just because they want so much power....however what do you guys think about using a dcon and just dialing back the power bit

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.