Sundown SA12 v.2 or U12 with kicker CXA1200.1?

04AcuraTL
10+ year member

KY
I’m looking at both of these and about to start building a box. Does anyone have experience with both?
My main questions are:
  • The SA12V.2 is rated at 1000 watts RMS, the Kicker 1200.1 will be at least 20% higher wattage than what’s recommended, will that be a problem? Would it void the warranty?
  • The U-series is rated at 1500 watts RMS, will the 1200 watts at 2 or 1 ohm be sufficient? Seems like it might not reach maximum excursion with 20% less wattage than what’s recommended.
  • Any recommendations on tuning frequency? They suggest 35hz for each but the specific box designs on their website for each sub are 32hz and 33hz.

Thanks for the advice guys, would you recommend running at 2 ohms or 1 for a daily setup? The amp claims 1200 at 2 or 1.

Thanks for the advice guys, would you recommend running at 2 ohms or 1 for a daily setup? The amp claims 1200 at 2 or 1.

In my experience, I don't like to pair subs with a 1000w rating and an amp with a 1000w rating. The quickest way to kill a sub is sending it a clipped signal and when you run an amp at its rated power its very easy to accidentally clip the signal and cook the woofer. Never actually done it with subs before, but I've been lucky.

I'd rather see a 2k sub and a 1k amp or a 1k sub and a 2k amp. The 2k sub can most likely handle a little clipping at the 1k power. And the 1k sub will probably take 1500w of clean power so if you set your gains to 1k you end up in a safe clip-free zone.

Matt

In my experience, I don't like to pair subs with a 1000w rating and an amp with a 1000w rating. The quickest way to kill a sub is sending it a clipped signal and when you run an amp at its rated power its very easy to accidentally clip the signal and cook the woofer. Never actually done it with subs before, but I've been lucky.

I'd rather see a 2k sub and a 1k amp or a 1k sub and a 2k amp. The 2k sub can most likely handle a little clipping at the 1k power. And the 1k sub will probably take 1500w of clean power so if you set your gains to 1k you end up in a safe clip-free zone.

Matt

That is one of the most bizarre things that I've heard lately. Set your gains right and get a bass knob with a clip light and bass on. Why would you try to scare the OP into thinking he is going to fry his sub with his amp? His amp is plenty big enough to run that sub. The bigger question is what headunit is he using and how clean of a signal is he sending the sub amp.

That is one of the most bizarre things that I've heard lately. Set your gains right and get a bass knob with a clip light and bass on. Why would you try to scare the OP into thinking he is going to fry his sub with his amp? His amp is plenty big enough to run that sub. The bigger question is what headunit is he using and how clean of a signal is he sending the sub amp.
A bass knob with a clipping signal would be clutch. I got a kicker bass knob but I’ll look around for one of those.
The HU is nothing crazy but should provide a sufficient signal with 2v preamp output. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-gxiH7625AEX/p_158XAV3200/Sony-XAV-AX3200.html?tp=72357

There is nothing wrong with running @2ohms mono. I have a pair of 10" DVC2 ohm S.Qubed HDS310s in a 4.0@32htz and had them on a MMats D300HC and it was all I could do to keep my Roof in one piece in my old 99 CRV

I’m looking at both of these and about to start building a box. Does anyone have experience with both?
My main questions are:
  • The SA12V.2 is rated at 1000 watts RMS, the Kicker 1200.1 will be at least 20% higher wattage than what’s recommended, will that be a problem? Would it void the warranty?
  • The U-series is rated at 1500 watts RMS, will the 1200 watts at 2 or 1 ohm be sufficient? Seems like it might not reach maximum excursion with 20% less wattage than what’s recommended.
  • Any recommendations on tuning frequency? They suggest 35hz for each but the specific box designs on their website for each sub are 32hz and 33hz.

This one might be a better choice for you and save you some money.

20220731_221131.jpg

There is nothing wrong with running @2ohms mono. I have a pair of 10" DVC2 ohm S.Qubed HDS310s in a 4.0@32htz and had them on a MMats D300HC and it was all I could do to keep my Roof in one piece in my old 99 CRV
Wire it to 1ohm because box rise will likely put it higher anyway.
If it's rated at 1200 at 1&2 wiring lower is going to put out more power overall
Leaning towards the 4 ohm DVC and running at 2 ohms. In the video linked below the amp put out 1151@1 and 1149@2 so almost no difference and I’m thinking it will probably run cleaner at 2.

This one might be a better choice for you and save you some money.

View attachment 40901
The older version is rated at 750 watts RMS, with an amp putting out 1150 watts RMS I’d rather go with the updated version rated at 1000 watts RMS for $80 more (since I’m only running 1 sub). Appreciate the suggestion though.
Their amps come with a certified power birthsheet so I’ll know more when that is delivered.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...