Sundown 6.5 Subwoofer Project

sundownz
Pro Seller

Supporting Vendor
North Carolina
2013-06-05%2015.47.23.281_x.jpg

Little project I've been working on for a while... first prototype rolled out yesterday. It about 4 1/8" deep -- power handling and other specs will be announced once we finalize the coil (several variations will be tested).

Every part was custom tooled; frame, diaphragm, dust cap, spider, surround, etc, etc. It also features an aluminum pole cap to lower distortion even further.

Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available =)

We did go with a 2" coil on it as well -- which is a bit different from

most 6.5" sub-woofers. Plus the aluminum diaphragm will also soak up

some heat as well. Thermally it will be very robust; power handling will

be more related to mechanics. The flat piston diaphragm opened up a

good bit more usable x-mech up top for us -- but I won't be going overly

stiff with it as I want a reasonable Qts and Fs from it.

I also meant to say COPPER shorting cap as well -- I mis-typed on the forums (got it right on the Facebook post).
is it a dedicated subwoofer, or meant for midbass in a door panel? either way I like it, and on a side note, do you guys to tours of the shop? im headed down to N.C. in a week, and it was on my list of things to see...

is it a dedicated subwoofer, or meant for midbass in a door panel? either way I like it, and on a side note, do you guys to tours of the shop? im headed down to N.C. in a week, and it was on my list of things to see...
interested in this as well.

It's designed as a dedicated sub-woofer ; I'll post the full response of it up when we finalize the coil, though, as it should be useful as a mid-bass as well.

We don't do a whole lot for tours; if someone stops in to pick something up and we aren't slammed we can show them a few cool things, of course.

It's designed as a dedicated sub-woofer ; I'll post the full response of it up when we finalize the coil, though, as it should be useful as a mid-bass as well.
We don't do a whole lot for tours; if someone stops in to pick something up and we aren't slammed we can show them a few cool things, of course.
dang, i need a recone, could it be built in a week? lol

I'll be sure to do videos when it arrives here for sure; right now we are doing testing at our factory with various coils to determine which configuration we move forward with testing here. It looks like CCAW as of now. I'll see about getting a video done at the factory as well so we can see it playing sooner smile.png

Here are specs with very little play time on the CCAW version :

Re : 2.9 ohms

Le : 0.44 mH

Fs : 44 Hz

Sd : 105.6 cm^2

BL : 11.282 TM

Qms : 8.7

Qts : 0.43

Qes : 0.46

Vas : 2.816 L

Cms : 117 uM/N

Mms : 75g

Sens : 79.1 dB 1w/1m

Ported box of 0.3 - 0.35 cubes tuned to 35-40 Hz looks very good.

-----

A few common questions :

1) Power handling is pending extended testing. The coil is about the

same size as what we use in the SA-8 v.2 but is CCAW rather than copper.

We will be mechanically limited on the rating.

2) The motor is 126mm and the cut-out is 140mm so there is wiggle room.

The only question is how easy it will be to mount with the terminals and

wire; will be doing some test-fitting when it arrives. We can still

tweak it as we did CNC frames for testing before making the mold.

3) The top-end response is pending a response graph which we should have this week.

4) Linear x-max is expected to be around 15mm one-way and we have close

to an inch one-way of x-mech for the soft parts and a few mm of padding

in the motor so the coil cannot bottom out.

Few more pics for you guys :

2013-06-05%2015.46.36.767_x.jpg

* You can see the copper cap on the pole as well as the main diaphragm which is made from aluminum. This driver features a rubber surround as well which was chosen to help hit our FS target.

2013-06-05%2018.04.43.139_x.jpg

* It's finished off with an aluminum dust cap as well. So the whole front of the driver helps shed some of the heat. This is in addition to the CNC slits all around the bottom of the basket as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

sundownz

Pro Seller
Supporting Vendor
sundownz
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date