Suggestions on upgrading.

Participant count
  • Participants list

de8212
10+ year member

georgia
My current system is as follows:
Pioneer NEX 4200 head unit
Pioneer GM-D9605 - 5 Channel amp (75W x 4 (A/B) @4 ohms, 100W x4 (A/B) @ 2 ohms )
Morel Maximo 6 Components in front (up to 90 watts RMS (180 watts peak power) )
Morel Maximo Coax in rear ( up to 80 watts RMS (160 watts peak power) )
IDQ 12" sub.

Looking to spend ~500. I do not need the sub upgraded. It's plenty for what I need.
I'd like a new head unit but probably gonna hold out for that.

So, that leaves me to a new amp or Components.
Although, I do have a questions about the power to the components. I have the front channels going to the mids and tweeters. Does that mean i am feeding a total of 75 watts to each mid and tweeter? So, 37.5 watts to a tweeter, and 37.5 to a mid? BTW, it's all through the passive crossover that came with the morels.

I'm just not sure if I can somehow get more power to the mids and tweeters. Am I running at 4 ohms or 2? If I am running at 4 how can I wire them to 2 and would that be a noticeable sound increase?

This amp does 100x4 @ 4ohms. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_530RS54500/Soundstream-Reserve-RS5-4500D.html
WOuld that be better quality sound in general? Soundstream vs pioneer??

Or would I be better off to get higher end components and keep the same amp? I can't do both.
thanks for any thoughts.

did you set your gains right?

heres how. the test tones are at the very bottom...

I would suggest getting a mono amp for that sub and getting your gains and crossovers set right on your mids/highs. It might cost you $200-$300 for a decent mono amp. Just don't use the 5th channel on that amp.

what impedance is your sub?

if you want your speaker to play louder, bridge your amp to give the fronts more power. run the rears off the deck.

fwiw, i never run rear speakers

Just to answer a few questions.

I set the gains by ear. I really need to do it by multimeter at the very least, I know. Will try to do so one day.

I've thought about a separate mono amp but the bass is not the issue. The sub channel is pushing 600 watts to a sub that can handle 750 watts. I am fine with the low end. Just wanted the fronts louder.

I know there's a debate on rears vs no rears. I get it but I kinda like them. Maybe I'll get rid of them one day. No easy way to run the rears off the deck now. I might have pulled the factory wires.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.