Suggestions on single 10 with a Rockford 300x1 amp

Thats it but you can get it cheaper here:

SSA Shop - Sundown Audio E10 sub woofer

SSA is a reputable seller with good customer service and they are an authorized Sundown dealer.

The Sundown E series is one of the best if not THE best performing sub under $150. You can even get them cheaper in B stock condition (factory blemish) from caraudiobargain.com

PBR300X1 on Rockford Fosgate's website):75 Watts x 1 @ 4-Ohm

150 Watts x 1 @ 2-Ohm

300 Watts x 1 @ 1-Ohm

Been running this amp with an old alpine type R. Sub finally took a dump so it’s time to get a replacement. I want to power the sub/amp correctly. It’s in a sealed box, the car is an Acura TL. I’ve always liked JL but open to options! Not trying to spend more than $200 new.

I would strongly recommend the previously recommended Audiofrog G10D2. From all that I have read, the big difference between that one and the top-of-the-line GB10D2 is power handling. For you, the G10D2 is the way to go. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!

The audiofrog will do better sealed than the sundown e10. In my opinion it’s not even close between those 2 subs if you care about sound quality.

The Audiofrog G10D2 would be a good choice but it should be powered with an amplifier near the top of its RMS power range to get the most out of it, especially in a smaller sealed enclosure. That means using an amplifier that has ~ 600 watts RMS. I know MTX isn’t considered here often but I had one of their lower line subs than this and it sounded quite good on just 200 watts RMS in my truck. Consider a subwoofer with lower power requirements in a larger sealed box such as the MTX 55 series https://www.crutchfield.com/p_236551022/MTX-5510-22.html?tp=111 unless you plan on upgrading that amplifier and associated wiring for it in the future.

The Audiofrog G10D2 would be a good choice but it should be powered with an amplifier near the top of its RMS power range to get the most out of it, especially in a smaller sealed enclosure. That means using an amplifier that has ~ 600 watts RMS. I know MTX isn’t considered here often but I had one of their lower line subs than this and it sounded quite good on just 200 watts RMS in my truck. Consider a subwoofer with lower power requirements in a larger sealed box such as the MTX 55 series https://www.crutchfield.com/p_236551022/MTX-5510-22.html?tp=111 unless you plan on upgrading that amplifier and associated wiring for it in the future.
never been huge mtx fan but that sub looks pretty darn good, nice basket for that price range..

I enjoyed all of the MTX subs I've owned over the years, Road Thunders, 4500s, 6000s, 7500s, 8000s. All sounded good and were pretty efficient making good use of the power they received.

That being said the Sundown E is still a better performer for the money. I've heard them in ported and sealed enclosures.

I enjoyed all of the MTX subs I've owned over the years, Road Thunders, 4500s, 6000s, 7500s, 8000s. All sounded good and were pretty efficient making good use of the power they received.
That being said the Sundown E is still a better performer for the money. I've heard them in ported and sealed enclosures.
those triple 10 boxes used to be in 20% of cars with subs in late 90's.. they did look cool., see ton of them fs around here..

I would agree with the Sundown recommendation. I have the SA and SD3 series and like them a lot, especially the SD3. I’m wondering though how well the E-series would actually perform on just 300 watts RMS. They recommend 500 watts RMS and Sundown is known to underrate their subs.

Edit: I suppose if you increase the enclosure size that it might do well on the lower power. Someone care to run that sub through WinISD to verify.

To the OP, if you could increase your budget a little and purchase this amplifier https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GTX500/JBL-GTX500.html?tp=35834 , which is under rated by over 100 watts rms verified by Bigblank69 in his dyno than you would have enough power to run any of the above recommended subs without a problem. You will have to use 4 gauge wire though even though Chrutchfield says 8 gauge is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up going with the sundown recommendation from the recommended site. Haven’t got shipping notification yet though. Should I wire the sub to the box a certain way with this setup?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.