Suggestions for 12" sub on 500w

TheHus

Will have 500W rms@4 ohms, up to about 2.5cuft for an enclosure.

Everyone has suggested that people in my situation get an SSA DCON 12", but I cant find them for sale anywhere. Simplesolutionsaudio.com says 7-14 days buildtime, and they aren't currently selling them. I looked in the subwoofer classified here but didnt see any. So what kind of alternative would i be able to find for $200 or less? if it matters, Im planning on buying a cresendo c1000c4 to amp it.

Shoot away guys!

For some reason i mixed up simple with sound... Failing today.

I was eyeing the fi x 12" and I was wondering if anyone has has good experiences with it.

Would anyone recommend one of the four listed above over another and why?

thanks again

Haha, I thought so, I just wasn't sure. All I can say is I've heard good things from the Fi line, no personal experiences. However...

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/520580-beast-600rms-subs.html

the first 2 pages of that thread discuss some of the differences in the subs I listed.

The Obsidian Audio driver having a good mix of SQ and loudness

The Skar driver handling low frequencies like a beast, though, not to say it can't play up in the range either.

And there's always the trusty SA-12, which gets loud, and can handle gobs of power if you plan to upgrade in the future. I have an SA-10, rated for "600" watts, and I'm throwing over 1200 at it alone. So a Sundown speaker may be your option if you think you'll be getting a bigger amp in the future.

Used, B-Stock, Refurbished Amps, and MISC - SSA Car Audio Forum

There's still some SA-12 D2 b-stocks left. Tis where I got my SA-10:)

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/50051-sundown-sd-2-1012-500-watt-subwoofer-pre-order/

and there's a link for the pre-order of their "500" watt line.

The SSA Dcon 12 will be back in stock shortly, we are awaiting cones to come back in any day now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Both the Obsidian and Sundown SA series are in stock right now. With 500 watts on either of those woofers you'll never have to worry about blowing them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The 187 is pretty comparable to the DCON...on your power, it will likely get louder then a SA, Skar, or Obsidian (which are all better drivers) but with a heavier moving mass. An unclamped 500w really isnt ideal for those particular drivers. I would rather be able to set gains conservatively in your situation and still be able to fully push my sub, then to have the tendancy to push your amp to the max to even tickle one of the other 3 drivers

The 187 is pretty comparable to the DCON...on your power, it will likely get louder then a SA, Skar, or Obsidian (which are all better drivers) but with a heavier moving mass. An unclamped 500w really isnt ideal for those particular drivers. I would rather be able to set gains conservatively in your situation and still be able to fully push my sub, then to have the tendancy to push your amp to the max to even tickle one of the other 3 drivers
Higher moving mass also means more low end extension in similar sized / smaller enclosures. And while the 187's Cms is ~63% more compliant than the Obsidian, SA, or Skar drivers it does not insinuate that 500 watts will not "even tickle" them. However, the 187 is definitely a valid option for the OP.

the Obsidian, SA, or Skar drivers it does not insinuate that 500 watts will not "even tickle" them
I cant speak from experience on the Skar or OA model, but when I put an unclamped 450-500w on my Sundown, I wasnt satisfied. I put an unclamped 800w on it and it was more to my liking. Since the Skar and OA models spec out very similar, I assumed results would be similar, and I am sure they are. I just feel that one of these 3 drivers does not allow him the headroom on his amp he would enjoy with either a 187 or DCON

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.