Sudden Epiphany.....

I know. Guess that's why low distortion subs might sound "dry"

Slight distortion makes the music feel more driving and powerful i guess.

When it's clipping- i know its LOUD

i'm talking about midbass too

I like slight clipping....
on bass that is.

huh...~\o/~ who knew
For electric bass players, there's a huge difference between transistor amp clipping and tube amp clipping. Vacuum tubes used in old amplifier and radio equipment can tolerate clipping up to the point of too much arcing between electrodes, which as you can imagine eventually ends up making them inoperable! But below that extreme clipping level can sound really fantastic!

Much as you describe that you like transistor amp clipping effects. It's what I call a "Cheep Effect" and was the basis for a band I was in when I was 19:

John Kuthe...

Not all clipping is created equal mind you.

My current install is hard to get to clip at nearly my loudest comfortable level.

Very,very nice so far. I wish I could turn up my HU bass 2 ticks-- cause that'll do it..

but i'll blow my door mids.

Not all clipping is created equal mind you.My current install is hard to get to clip at nearly my loudest comfortable level.

Very,very nice so far. I wish I could turn up my HU bass 2 ticks-- cause that'll do it..

but i'll blow my door mids.
You are exactly correct, amplifier clipping is completely based on the physical circuitry of the amplifier. And since there are so many different amps, there are just as many different effects rendered when driving them into clipping. I know how transistors work and almost all today's amplifiers are transistor amplifiers, especially in autos.

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.