Subwoofer wiring question.

JohnPD

CarAudio.com Regular
I'm getting an amplifier installed in my vehicle this coming weekend because the factory amp is garbage, and I'll lose the factory subwoofer which is under the passenger's seat. I really don't need lots of heavy bass. My question is, can I just run the subwoofer's wiring to the back of the head units sw preout and use it that way? I really don't have the room for an aftermarket subwoofer. It's the only speaker in the vehicle that's still a factory speaker. If it can't be done, then I'm not too worried about it.

I really don't need lots of heavy bass.
But... but... we defeated the empire for the right to bass as freely as we desire!
My question is, can I just run the subwoofer's wiring to the back of the head units sw preout and use it that way?
No, preout is the signal for an amp.
I really don't have the room for an aftermarket subwoofer.
You could just wire the OEM sub into an amp. You could use a 5 channel amplifier for that option.
You say the radio has a subwoofer preout; if so, then is it an aftermarket radio? If yes, then you can use the rear channels on the radio for the rear speakers, and the rear channels on the amp for the subwoofer.

It's all aftermarket, listed in my signature.
But... but... we defeated the empire for the right to bass as freely as we desire!

No, preout is the signal for an amp.

You could just wire the OEM sub into an amp. You could use a 5 channel amplifier for that option.
You say the radio has a subwoofer preout; if so, then is it an aftermarket radio? If yes, then you can use the rear channels on the radio for the rear speakers, and the rear channels on the amp for the subwoofer.
It's all aftermarket, listed in my signature, other than the factory subwoofer. A 5-channel amp is out of my price range, so I'll just skip the factory subwoofer.

That SW is for the SubWoofer's signal. You use that to an amp, and then need to run dedicated power and ground wires for the amp.

There are some really slim subs out there. Some will fit into the side wheel well panels, and there are some really thin subs that are powered subwoofers that have the amps built in. Here's a really thin, cheap, and simple option that plugs into that SW head unit, that has come up here recently.

I really like those bass tubes. The first ones I ever heard were in BIL's '90 F150 short cab. They were the first series and they slammed. I have no idea why today's tubes cannot reach the level of the originals.
When they first came out I was working in GA and 7 days a week for almost 2 years.I wanted some to try out. All they had at the time were the 10" T102 series. I had a Mits. Starion and itching to put some tunes in it. I had the $ but very little time with driving to work and back after 12-18 hr days.I think It was like 1989/90? I had amplifiers ect. I put 4 tens in the back of that joker on two Hifonic VII Cyclops on those @2 ohms ea, One Pluto for a set of Polk Tear drop MM mid and tweets components and an Odin for set of JBL GTQ 6.5s. It was Loud!! On a BlaukP. SanteFe HU and an External single Sony Disc player with cassette adapter. They have 12s now even. Non powered. I ran some Non powered DVC4 tens take 500rms ea. about 15 years ago. Still have those and work great. The powered 8s i ran 2 of those temp in some vehicles the 250 ones and they actually put out some power for as small as they were in an Xcab space. did fine in a Leased CTS. later put 10s powered 250s in there and did much better in trunk space for what they are.Easy to un-wire and remove if you need more space in trunk and unstrap

think It was like 1989/90? I had amplifiers ect. I put 4 tens in the back of that joker on two Hifonic VII Cyclops on those @2 ohms ea, One Pluto for a set of Polk Tear drop MM mid and tweets components and an Odin for set of JBL GTQ 6.5s. It was Loud!! On a BlaukP. SanteFe HU and an External single Sony Disc player with cassette adapter.
Nice gear! I just went on a trip down memory lane, thanks for the ride. I still faintly hear Salt&Pepa.

I'm getting an amplifier installed in my vehicle this coming weekend because the factory amp is garbage, and I'll lose the factory subwoofer which is under the passenger's seat. I really don't need lots of heavy bass. My question is, can I just run the subwoofer's wiring to the back of the head units sw preout and use it that way? I really don't have the room for an aftermarket subwoofer. It's the only speaker in the vehicle that's still a factory speaker. If it can't be done, then I'm not too worried about it.
If I really wanted to utilize the factory subwoofer, I would purchase a compact mono amplifier to place under the seat near the sub. Your installer can wire the power, ground turn on and signal cables. Check your space, to see what size you can accommodate, and check crutchfield.com for prices. Or you can just let it go and enjoy the bass that you get from your speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...