subwoofer trouble

zjltwins85
10+ year member

Elon, NC
Hey,

I just put a system into my car. I had 2 12' infinity refrences being powered by one Kicker kx300*2 amp. For a while I only had one of the refrences in, because the voice coil on the other sub was separating. One sub was fairly loud, but now that I have both subs in again, I can bearly hear/feel it. My dash speakers are the only thing putting out bass. If you know why the subs are no longer moving air at all, do you think you could help me out? Thanks

Zach Lantelme:confused:

if ur bass are not hitting at all, then there might be something wrong w ur subs. the kicker is a good amp which i think, i think should be enough for those infinity. i am not familiar w the infinity subs.

you said that one worked but the other one didn't? did u fix the one that didn't work? if so, try hookin up each sub separately. like power just one sub w the kicker, n then try the other sub. It's more of a trial and error basis i guess.

another thing you can do is check your wiring. Is your amp turnin on? (not just the light, do u hear the fan runnin? at one time i thought my amp was working cuz the light was on, but it was just the LED powered by the remote wire. eventually, the inline fuse was blown)

are you sure you dont have the subs in series by mistake, that could cause the amps to put out much less power. example, a amplifier will put the advertised power into one 4ohm speaker, but if you put it in series, it will see a 8 ohm load, which will drastically reduce power, and to top it off, that lower power will divide equally into each sub which will reduce it even more.... or perhaps the broken sub is shorted out, that would cause all current and therefore power to go into that shorted sub, and it will also damage your amp.

Originally posted by CarAudioAddict I had that problem once.

I had one of the speakers wired in reverse polarity. CHeck yer wiring to the subs.
That would definitely be the first thing i would check if i knew that the amp was getting power and a signal.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh yeah i neglected to mention that I had replaced the defective sub, and now both subs are good. The subs are working, but unless the song is specifically designed for bass there doesn't seem to be much volume. When I only had one of the subs hooked up, i could feel it with my head unit on 25/50. But I can not feel anything now that I have hooked both subs up, I can not even feel them at all even at 35/50 or 40/50 for a regular rap song(The only songs where I can tell the subs do work are Bass explosion songs, or a woofer test. Even with these they aren't loud ).

If the polarity was reversed on the new sub, would the sub work at all?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.