Subwoofer question (debate?)

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hopefully I don't get slammed for this as I've been asking a lot of questions lately.

I haven't begun to build anything yet, but my parts list atm is as follows:

For my subs:

Skar RP 2000.1 Amp (already have it)

KnuKonceptz CCA 1/0 Gauge wiring Kit (already have it)

PAC AP4-CH41 (Unless I can find a used JBL MS-8 for about $300)

AGM Battery (need to decide on which one)

For my speakers:

PPI 900.4

KnuKonceptz 4 gauge kit

Either 6.5 or 6x9 comps for the front

6.5 one way's for the back.

If I can't get the JBL MS-8, I will eventually get a JL TwK as an equalizer when I can afford it.

Alright, so down to the real question...my subwoofers. I have two JL Audio W0v3 12"s in a prefab box. It was my first ever sub purchase. So far I've been told I should save up and get a Soundqubed 18". Or, get 2 12" American Bass XFLs. Now I'm being told to forgo anything 18' in the name of SQ for the type of music I listen to, and to stay away from XFLs and stick with my JLs until I can afford something like Phoenix Gold SX 12"s instead (Or something in the Memphis line).

Now, the first two suggestions were from people on this site. The last? You guessed it. An audio shop. I know opinions are all relative but I'd really like some help here on deciding. I don't have the funds to make the wrong choice. I drive a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. My cargo area measures 39 inches after subtracting 2 inches for finger space at the narrowest point between the wheel wells. And 19 inches from floor to the top of the back seat (not including head rests). Also, if it matters, my alternator is 180 amps.

An 18" can be just as accurate as a 10", it just depends on the setup. The xfl's are slightly more spl oriented. If your looking for sq you could look into IDMAX, Dayton, Incriminator Flatlyne, and SSA GCONs. I personaly would do IA Flatlyne's. They look to be extremely well balanced for sq.

An 18" can be just as accurate as a 10", it just depends on the setup. The xfl's are slightly more spl oriented. If your looking for sq you could look into IDMAX, Dayton, Incriminator Flatlyne, and SSA GCONs. I personaly would do IA Flatlyne's. They look to be extremely well balanced for sq.
Well, that seems to be the thing. As much as I love SQ, I'm one of those "the louder the better" people especially when it comes to subs. I want the whole block to know I just got home. I've owned JL 12s, Kicker 12s, and Type-R 12s. (Originally bought the Type-R's used, the voice coil was going so I exchanged them for new Kicker's. Hated them, and spent an extra $100 and picked up the JLs. Out of those 3, the Rs were my favorite if that gauges anything)

Ab xr 12's similar to the xfl but sound a bit cleaner. The most important part is going to be the box though absolutely no prefab boxes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.