Subs cutting out

Jacobs
10+ year member

JIMMY GO BOOM BOOM
Hey Everyone I'm having a problem with my subs. They keep cutting out. They were working fine in my old car, i just recently put them in my new truck. They worked fine for a couple weeks and just started cutting out. They'll be playing fine, then they'll start distorting and cut out. It's not that im feeding them too much power or the gain is up too high, it does it on low volume too. To get them back on i basically have to give it a burst of power. I just turn up the sub output on my HU and they kick back on. That made me think it was possibly the deck, i tested it out by grabbing my friends subs/amp and it worked flawless.

Any ideas??

Check the wiring going from subs to the amp(and inside the box too) to make sure that you don't have a loose connection anywhere. I had a simialr problem with a pre-fab box I was using, where the subs would just start distorting, and then go back to normal. Come to find out, the connection on the terminal inside the box was loose and the subs air displacement was causing the connection to wiggle around.

I went to a shop and had them check it out. They suggested those things, i replaced all the speaker wiring and replaced the rca's, there still cutting out. They said the sub may be messed up. I have them wired in parellel/series, so if that was the case wouldn't the one sub cut out other one stay on? Any idea?

how are they wired in parallel & series at the same time? if its in parallel, one will still play if the oher is busted, but if its in series, one blown sub will turn off the other.

Well to be honest it could be the amp. Run one sub at a time and see if it still cuts out. But to answer the question from DJB "how are they wired in parallel & series." He is talking about a Dual VC SUB. The sub is wired parallel to itself, and then in series with the other sub.

With the current set up both subs will stop if either is messed up. Check the OHM of each sub and make sure it falls within the factory specs. Next thing is have you pushed your cone up and down to make sure you to not have VC rub?

My amp started doing the same thing, and it was the amp.

I tried pushing on the cone and there was nothing. Im gonna try my amp on someone elses subs asap, only thing is n one else i know has a system. The one that did just sold it a few days ago... crappy! Any other ways i could test it? I have my subs presenting a 4 Ohm load on the amp, it's stable 1.5-4. I JL Audio 500/1 would really **** if it was the amp!

hi , i also have this trouble , my subs turn off suddenly , i checked the wiring and every thing , but in the end i noticed that , the AMP , when i turn the SWITCH of theLOW GAIN to OFF it works and produces a normal frequency sound ,but when i turn to subwoofer it dont work, but when i press the amp down of i hit it , it works again and suddenly stops , i tought that it is from the switch , i changed it, but the problem is still occuring. please help..thanks.

I tried pushing on the cone and there was nothing. Im gonna try my amp on someone elses subs asap, only thing is n one else i know has a system. The one that did just sold it a few days ago... crappy! Any other ways i could test it? I have my subs presenting a 4 Ohm load on the amp, it's stable 1.5-4. I JL Audio 500/1 would really **** if it was the amp!

How do you have your turn on wired for your amp?? The JL amp has a signal line turn option where if you don't have a turn on wired to the amp it will sense the an output from the RCA's and then turn on. If you have that enabled then the amp may not be sensing a signal at low volumes and turning itself off...however this would not explain the distorting, so maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hey everyone thanks for the replies. I have my amp turn on/off from the remote. I already checked/regrounded the ground wire, still didn't fix it. now here comes the worst part. I was taking my subs out of my box to check again if the wiring was lose, it was fine. Tries playing it when the subs were out of the box did the same thing. Screwed them back in the bax and was about to give up on them. Now there working fine. Im clueless! Oh well as long as it works (knock on wood)

check the cd player pre out wires, make shure there in good and dont run them down the same side of the car as the power, they will pick up noise. wire the subs different and try one at a time. take everything out and clean it and tight en everything good. use new wire , try all that if no differance its the subs or the amp. peace, tell me if that did anything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.