subs can't take the box

Participant count
  • Participant list

Only The Best
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
texas
so I have 2 alpine type r 10" new models in a sealed fiberglass box. the box is bedlined on the inside and has a decent amount of airspace for the subwoofers... but this is the third time I've blown a sub with this box and im wondering if the box itself is causing it because of the way its made... I was wondering if porting it would let the subs breath a little better and not cause them to overexert themselves because I had a triple ported box with 3 of em in the box hooked up to the same amp (fosgate t1000.1bd) and I was able to push them so much harder without having them clip or overexert. aero port? pvc pipe? im just wondering if there is a way.

D57173BE-8F50-426B-BB0D-F5AF8CF67FF1-3504-000000C8E6D39C87_zpsd4b0d21c.jpg Photo by zturner94 | Photobucket

there are about 5 pics of the box to look at... let me know what would help me....

plz don't say "build a new box" im lookin to solve this one.

thank you in advance for your input

You're comparing two 10s sealed to three 10s ported, of course the 3 10s are going to be louder

You're blowing subs due to improper gain settings, not your enclosure. Your clipping the hell out of your system. You probably are trying to make it as loud as your three 10s were, and it's not going to happen.

There's nothing wrong with your enclosure, you're just trying to make it perform better than it's able to, which is turning the gain up higher and clipping your subs to death.

Best bet is to just build a new box or just accept the fact that they're not going to hit as hard as when you had three of them ported, but whichever one you choose, make sure you set your gains properly.

You're comparing two 10s sealed to three 10s ported, of course the 3 10s are going to be louder
You're blowing subs due to improper gain settings, not your enclosure. Your clipping the hell out of your system. You probably are trying to make it as loud as your three 10s were, and it's not going to happen.

There's nothing wrong with your enclosure, you're just trying to make it perform better than it's able to, which is turning the gain up higher and clipping your subs to death.

Best bet is to just build a new box or just accept the fact that they're not going to hit as hard as when you had three of them ported, but whichever one you choose, make sure you set your gains properly.
If I ported out that box would it help the problem or is porting that box not going to yield beneficial outcomes?

[quote name='Only The Best']If I ported out that box would it help the problem or is porting that box not going to yield beneficial outcomes?[/QUOTE]

The box will be the wrong volume. To sound right, you need to design the box knowing it will be ported. Ported boxes are larger and have the right dimensions to have the right size port.

Just have @pro\-rabbit; or @double 07;l build you a custom box. Price is probably lower than you think.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.