sub phase

jellyfish420
10+ year member

i design boxes .......
STL ill side
ok heres the question. how important is it to have your subs correctly phased? when i installed them i hooked one of subs backwards. i knew this because they sounded like sh!t. easy enough i just reversed on sub on the amp. but how important is it to have them + to +, and - to -? i don't have a drill so i don't want to take the sub out, and the amp is under my seat so i can't do the battery test by myself. would it be ok as long as they are both in phase with each other?

i meant i have a black and a white wire to each sub. and i would have to take out the sub to see which one is wired right and which one is wrong. on the amp end of the wires one black is positive and one white is positive. and yes i need a drill because i hate screwing all them screws in and out by hand, call me lazy, i don't care.

Think about it...........you have one of them wired "normal", and one of them wired "reverse". No matter which one you switch at the amp, after the switch they will be in-phase with each other again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif (either "normal" or "reversed" doesn't matter, but they will both be the same). Listen to it to, then switch both of them and listen again, see which way sounds best. If the 1st way sounded best, switch them back; If the 2nd way sounded best, then leave them. Problem solved, and no sub removal required //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Think about it...........you have one of them wired "normal", and one of them wired "reverse". No matter which one you switch at the amp, after the switch they will be in-phase with each other again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif (either "normal" or "reversed" doesn't matter, but they will both be the same). Listen to it to, then switch both of them and listen again, see which way sounds best. If the 1st way sounded best, switch them back; If the 2nd way sounded best, then leave them. Problem solved, and no sub removal required //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
yes i understand all of that. i've got them wired "in phase" with each other. i just didn't know if it made a diff. if they were wired in phase or 180 out. i guess tommorow i'll flip the wires and see what way sounds better. but thanks squeak for anwsering my question. . . it doesn't matter one way or the other as long as they are both in phase with each other.

it doesn't matter one way or the other as long as they are both in phase with each other.
Right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif I guess I misunderstood your original question, but the 2nd half of my reply answered the question you were actually asking //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.