Sub Impedence (Ohm buzinesS)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Yitzy
10+ year member

ph3@r
MA
The only difference I have seen in the sub impedence so far is that it takes a more powerful amp to power a sub wired at a higher impedence. What is the sq or spl difference, or any difference if you wire them at a higher or lower impedence?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

no difference in sq, if u wanna look at it from this perspective, the wattage will be increased if the impedance is lower, so u can say it has an effect on the spl if u want, but i'd rather not.

so why don't they make all the woofers at the least ohm possible so we don't have to buy huge ass amps to power them? Oh well... So there's no difference?

They make subs with different impedences for more flexability in the installation. If all subs were 2 ohms for example, not all amps would be able to run them without overheating. Not all poeple are interested in running their equipment as hard as possible. A higher impedence results in cooler operation whcih results in improved SQ, amp/sub life, power consumption, and efficiency. These aren't the only reasons, I'm just too tired to think right now - natem33

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.