Sub and port direction in a crew cab

Participant count
  • Participant list

steele6794
10+ year member

Boston
Building enclosure for a single Arc 12" that will be going directly behind the center console in a crew cab pickup.

My question is can I have the sub rear firing, with the round port firing to either side or up?

Care more about the sound quality than loudness.

I think I'd prefer sub forward port up, but I really wanted sub rear port up or side.

What was the reason for them telling you to position the sub and port that way?

You also can can do sub up and port to the side. That's the second most common way for daily. I wanted to do subs and port up so I can mount my amp on the box. And having everything firing up is good on the meter but may cause cancellations issues with the windows up in a daily system

Either way, I'd just do one port. Not two.

Best way to find what works is build a box and turn it around until it sounds best. Otherwise, we'll just be throwing out blind guesses. Every type of vehicle is different acoustically.

^^ that's pretty much what I said I was going to do but I figured I'm going with subs up aero ports forward do I can build my amp rack the way I want

I was only going to do one port

I know every vehicle is different, but I was hoping someone could chime in with a similar truck and see what they did.

I really just dont want to do sub up or sub and port on same plane. I just dont know much about cancellation or phasing issues and didnt want to waste my time making a box that will sound like crap

I have a crewcab and so far my favorite has been sub downfiring with the port to the passenger side. Gave me some real solid output with only an 8 inch sub and sounds nice too. Did a lot more experimenting sealed and in a sealed setup up firing sounded really nice as well. Had to lose a seat to run like that though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.