Stupid A** ???

JDoggHSTX
10+ year member

Texas
Ive probably asked this before and know the answer, but here goes:

Is it possible to wire two of my subs in parallel and one in series so that I will be able to draw more power off my amp? The 1200d is 1ohm stable, and puts out 1200 watts at 1.3, but, at 2.7ohms, like it is now, it only puts out around 600-700watts. I realize that I probably cant do this w/out overpowering the 2 in parallel, but somebody that knows what to do, please let me know.

First, Adam is wrong. All the amp wants to see is a final "load"

Second, just because the amp says it will put out more power at a lower impedance, that doesn't mean you'll hear a difference. You need also be concerned with current draw and a bunch of other ****.....blah blah blah.

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Basically, when you buy that amp, you buy it because you have 3 4 ohm svc subs or 3 2 ohm dvc subs(each dvc wired in series). If each sub is 4 ohms, 1/4 + 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/Total Total = 1.33. Without 3 4 ohm subs, its kind of a waste of power. If those 12w3's are 4 ohms (im not sure what they are offered in,) wire them in parallel and you'll be perfect. I wouldn't mix wirings, even though the amp won't know. It won't sound too good with one sub at low power and 2 at high power.. you might get cancellation and bad stuff like that.

no, when you wire them in series, you'd get something like a 10 or 12 ohm load. when you wire subs in series, it doubles the load basically. if you have 2 SVC 4 ohm subs in series, you'd end up with an 8 ohm load, and i'm too lazy to figure out what 3 would end up with.

4 dvc subs wired as follows will produce a 2.666667 ohm mono load

spk3dvcp.gif

4 dvc subs wired as follows will produce a .666667 ohm mono load

spk3dvc3.gif

good luck hope i've helped.....

OK I have obviously been misunderstood. Moocow.. I dont know what you are talking about.. Wiring subs in series doesnt double anything. When I say wire the 2 ohm dvc subs in series, i mean each individual sub in series. Then you wire each of those 4 total ohm subs (2 +2 = 4) in parallel. That would give you a 1.33 ohm total resistance.

For parallel:

1/R1 + 1/R2 +... 1/ Rn = 1/Rtotal:

1/4 +1/4 + 1/4 = 1/ R

3/4 = 1/R

R = 4/3 = 1.33

For series:

R1 + R2 + ..Rn = Rtotal.

Please only help with resistances if you know how to use these formulas.. otherwise you might **** up someones subs.

If they were 4 ohm dvc's, you would get 2.667 or .667 which doesnt help at all.

If they were 4 ohm svc's you get 1.33. So either you get 3 2 ohm dvc's or 3 4 ohm svc's. There arent any better alternatives. (except getting 3 8 ohm dvcs, which would also give you 1.33)

Basically, tell me what the impedances of your subs are, and if they are 4 ohm svc's, 2 ohm dvcs, or 8 ohm dvcs, I will tell you how to get 1.33. Otherwise, get different impedance subs.

yeah, sorry i wasn't very clear. what i meant was that if you have 2 SVC 4 ohm subs and wire them in series, the resistence will double and go to an 8 ohm load, i didn't mean it like if you keep adding 1 more sub that it will double the ohm everytime, my bad.

go to the link on my sig. wiring help....im getting them off of there.....very informative site....also check the other link out....excelent information.....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.