Strapping current

Participant count
  • Participant list
Just curious

How does strapping amps affect current from batteries?

Ex. 1 amp wired at 1 ohm pulls 200A from batt. How much would be pulled if 2 amp were strapped? At 1 ohm and 2 ohm?

I have 3 amps with mininal voltage drop,for an experiment I strapped 2 of them I get severe voltage drop instantly at half volume.

You sure you strapped them correctly?
Lol

I didn't want to remove the sub so I wired .5 ohms each when strapped

If 1 amp at 2 ohms pulls 200a, would it be 400a strapped at 2ohms? Does anything else play a factor regarding current. EX. The amount of voltage?

Im guessing here but your running 2/0 so i would think your running a 300amp fuse? Give or take 50 amps but whatever your fuse is rated at its not pulling more that that or your fuse would blow

I was just playing around with strapping. Wanted to see how much more I could get out of the subs with more power. My elec won't cut it.

Now I only get 40-46 volts AC out of each amp before clipping, don't know the amperage.

What's the formula to get current when strapped, any variables?

The lower the impedance your amps se, the less efficient they are. They will pull more current. Two amps strapped to one ohm will pull more than twice the current of one amp wired to one ohm, because each amp sees .5 before rise. They will be less efficient, but make a lot more power.

The higher voltage your electrical system can maintain, the more efficient your amps will run. They will actually pull less current.

An amp on 14.4v will pull less current to make the same power than the same amp on 12v. Some Rockford amps are weird/complicated because they have a different type of power supply, but I wouldn't worry about those.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.