Strange issue with right-side speakers spontaneously and randomly clipping

Participant count
  • Participant list

justafifteen
10+ year member

And that's the truth.
I've had this weird problem in my car. I have a set of components for my front stage, powered off the amp in my signature. Everything was golden until a few months ago, when out of nowhere, the right side speaker will get amplified by what seems like 500% normal power.

It starts clipping, sounds like crap even at low volume, etc. It doesn't stay like this, though. Sometimes I'll drive around and everything will be fine. Then next thing you know, I'm pooping my pants because the right side suddenly goes insanely loud and it scares the crap out of me.

It lasts probably a few minutes, and slowly disappears back to normal, unclipped volume.

I've had to drive around with the fade at about "Left 6" because of this, so that when it does start clipping I can still keep a decent volume up.

Any idea what could be the issue here? I have since transferred the head unit to my new car, but haven't installed my amp or speakers yet. There are no issues in my new car, so it's not the head unit. I'm really wanting to install my speakers & amp in my new car, but only if I can diagnose and fix whatever is causing this.

yea i would change the rcas.

if you have a issue after that switch speaker wires at the amp left to right to see if bad crossover or speaker wire or amp...

What could happen to the RCA's that would give the speakers more power? I will check them out and see if there's any loose connections and try another pair

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.